Bulk Modulus, Expansion Coeff. and compression of a liquid in a piston

In summary, the problem involves compressing a liquid in a metal container, leading to a change in pressure and temperature. The compressibility and expansion coefficients of the liquid and metal are given. To find the new temperature at which the pressure of the liquid is again 1.00 atm, the change in volume of the container must be considered, taking into account the difference in expansion rates between the liquid and metal. The final volume of the container is dependent on the initial volume of the liquid and the change in temperature during the compression phase.
klawlor419

Homework Statement

A liquid is enclosed in a metal container that is provided with a piston of the same metal. The system is originally at a pressure of 1.00 atm (1.013*10^5 Pa) and at a temperature of 30.0 C. The piston is forced down until the pressure on the liquid is increased by 50.0 atm, and then clamped in this position.

Find the new temperature at which the pressure of the liquid is again 1.00 atm.

Assume that the cyclider is sufficiently strong so that its volume is not altered by the pressure, only by changes in temperature.

Compressibility: k=8.50*10^-10 [Pa^-1]
β(Liquid)=4.80*10^-4
β(Metal)=3.90*10^-5

Homework Equations

Bulk Modulus: B= Δp/(ΔV/V)
Linear Volume expansion: ΔV=β*ΔT*V
Compressibility: k=1/B

The Attempt at a Solution

So using the bulk modulus definition I found an expression that relates changes in pressure to changes in temperature. With this I found for the liquid in the system the change in temperature is equal to 8.97 C. Meaning the temperature of the liquid after compression is 38.97 C.

I understand that a change in pressure of the system leads to a change in temperature of the system; which in turn leads to a change in volume of the systems components. The way I'm seeing the problem now is now that I know the temperature of the liquid after compression I can assume the temperature of the container is the same.

The pressure is 51 atm after compression, therefore to get it back to 1 atm we must change the temperature of the system to account for a pressure change of -50 atm. But if I do this I'm literally just reversing what I did in the last step. I don't know what I'm missing. I know I'm not using the expansion coefficient of the metal in any way despite that it was given so it probably involves that.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear to me whether the initial compression is adiabatic. If it's slow then you can take it as isothermal. Anyway, the compression phase involved either a V and P change, or a V, P and T change. The decompression involves a V, P and T change, but this time the V change is only in relation to the thermal contraction, so will be smaller. It is therefore not reversing the compression phase.
You'll need the difference in expansion rates to get the V change that results from the temperature changes.

haruspex said:
It's not clear to me whether the initial compression is adiabatic. If it's slow then you can take it as isothermal. Anyway, the compression phase involved either a V and P change, or a V, P and T change. The decompression involves a V, P and T change, but this time the V change is only in relation to the thermal contraction, so will be smaller. It is therefore not reversing the compression phase.
You'll need the difference in expansion rates to get the V change that results from the temperature changes.

I don't think the compression is adiabatic, or at least it doesn't specify in the problem statement. I copied the problem statement exactly from the text so I think it involves the V, P, and T change.

With bulk modulus of the liquid and a volume change attributable to a change in temperature, the change in pressure;
Δp=B*β*ΔT
is also attributable to the change in temperature. β=β(Liquid) in this eq.

So now your saying that I need the difference in the volumetric expansion/contraction of the new system. The liquid will expand/contract more readily; is this what creates the second pressure change?

klawlor419 said:

Homework Statement

A liquid is enclosed in a metal container that is provided with a piston of the same metal. The system is originally at a pressure of 1.00 atm (1.013*10^5 Pa) and at a temperature of 30.0 C. The piston is forced down until the pressure on the liquid is increased by 50.0 atm, and then clamped in this position.

Find the new temperature at which the pressure of the liquid is again 1.00 atm.

Assume that the cyclider is sufficiently strong so that its volume is not altered by the pressure, only by changes in temperature.

Compressibility: k=8.50*10^-10 [Pa^-1]
β(Liquid)=4.80*10^-4
β(Metal)=3.90*10^-5

Homework Equations

Bulk Modulus: B= Δp/(ΔV/V)
Linear Volume expansion: ΔV=β*ΔT*V
Compressibility: k=1/B

The Attempt at a Solution

So using the bulk modulus definition I found an expression that relates changes in pressure to changes in temperature. With this I found for the liquid in the system the change in temperature is equal to 8.97 C. Meaning the temperature of the liquid after compression is 38.97 C.

I understand that a change in pressure of the system leads to a change in temperature of the system; which in turn leads to a change in volume of the systems components. The way I'm seeing the problem now is now that I know the temperature of the liquid after compression I can assume the temperature of the container is the same.

The pressure is 51 atm after compression, therefore to get it back to 1 atm we must change the temperature of the system to account for a pressure change of -50 atm. But if I do this I'm literally just reversing what I did in the last step. I don't know what I'm missing. I know I'm not using the expansion coefficient of the metal in any way despite that it was given so it probably involves that.

It seems to me, from the problem statement, that, during the initial compression phase, the liquid and cylinder/piston were both held at constant 30 C temperature. If the volume of the liquid initially were V0, what would be the liquid volume V1 after raising the pressure to 50 atm? Now, in phase 2, the temperature of the liquid and the cylinder/piston are both raised to temperature T. In this phase, the volume of the chamber will increase as a result of thermal expansion of the cylinder/piston. Starting from volume V1, if the temperature of the cylinder/piston is raised from 30C to temperature T, what will be the new volume V2 of the container (in terms of T)? Next, focusing on the liquid, what is its new volume V2 if, starting at volume V1, its temperature is raised from 30 C to temperature T, and its pressure is dropped from 50 atm back down to 1 atm? This new volume V2 of the liquid must match the new volume V2 of the cylinder/piston, so set the expressions for these two quantities equal to one another. This will give you a linear equation for calculating the temperature T.

Chestermiller said:
It seems to me, from the problem statement, that, during the initial compression phase, the liquid and cylinder/piston were both held at constant 30 C temperature. If the volume of the liquid initially were V0, what would be the liquid volume V1 after raising the pressure to 50 atm? Now, in phase 2, the temperature of the liquid and the cylinder/piston are both raised to temperature T.
I read it as the temperature being lowered to something below 30C in order to get back to 1 atm. The liquid will shrink more than the vessel.

haruspex said:
I read it as the temperature being lowered to something below 30C in order to get back to 1 atm. The liquid will shrink more than the vessel.

Yes. You are right. I didn't notice that the coeff of thermal expansion for the liquid was higher than that of the metal. Of course, if you set the problem up the way I recommended, you will still get the right answer.

haruspex said:

Yes. You are right. I didn't notice that the coeff of thermal expansion for the liquid was higher than that of the metal. Of course, if you set the problem up the way I recommended, you will still get the right answer.

1. What is the bulk modulus of a liquid?

The bulk modulus of a liquid is a measure of its resistance to compression. It is a measure of how much a liquid's volume changes under pressure. It is typically expressed in units of pressure, such as pascals (Pa) or atmospheres (atm).

2. How does the bulk modulus of a liquid affect its compressibility?

A higher bulk modulus means a liquid is less compressible, while a lower bulk modulus means a liquid is more compressible. This is because a higher bulk modulus indicates that the liquid can withstand larger changes in pressure without experiencing significant changes in volume.

3. What is the expansion coefficient of a liquid?

The expansion coefficient of a liquid is a measure of how much its volume changes with temperature. It is typically expressed in units of volume per degree Celsius (or Kelvin). It is often denoted by the symbol α.

4. How does the expansion coefficient of a liquid relate to its thermal expansion?

The expansion coefficient of a liquid is directly proportional to its thermal expansion. This means that as the temperature of a liquid increases, its volume will also increase. The higher the expansion coefficient, the more the volume of the liquid will increase with temperature.

5. How are bulk modulus, expansion coefficient, and compression related in a liquid-filled piston system?

In a liquid-filled piston system, the bulk modulus and expansion coefficient of the liquid work together to resist compression. As pressure is applied to the liquid-filled piston, the bulk modulus of the liquid resists changes in volume, while the expansion coefficient allows the liquid to expand and decrease the pressure exerted on the piston. This relationship helps maintain a stable pressure within the system.