1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bulk Modulus from DFT results

1. Oct 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have been asked to calculate the bulk modulus for a carbon dioxide solid from data I have calculated. I have made a quick plot of unit cell size vs pressure (sorry for no labels, unit cell is Y axis as square angstroms, and pressure is in GPa), which looks ok.

2. Relevant equations
    I have been told to fit it to the Birch-Murnaghan equation of state but that is where it all falls over (I'm a chemist completely out of my depth).

I have been told I can also "You can finite difference the pressure vs volume at low pressure to get dP/dV and then the BM can be got from BM = - V(dP/dV)", but I am not sure what that actually means.

I'm not fussed which method I use, the room for error on this particular example is acceptable at around 50 GPa (It will tell me if I am even remotely close to having what i want, which is 350 GPa).

3. The attempt at a solution
    It seems that most people do it with scripts, but most I have seen rely on preforming thier own calculations to get the raw data. As a condition of this project I have to use a specific application, which seems to be the easy part.

Thanks for any advice, I can't seem to make any sense from any papers I have read so far, and it is starting to look a little sad.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

An important question is, what is the unit cell's volume given your square-Angstrom values?

If you can get that, then a curve fit will give you dV/dP at any pressure.

Once you have dV/dP, then use your equation to get BM.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?