Bulk Modulus Problem: Sphere of Brass Diameter Change

In summary, the solution involves using the equation for bulk modulus to find the change in volume of the solid brass sphere as it sinks to a depth of 1.0 km in the ocean. This change in volume can then be used to find the change in radius and diameter of the sphere, which is 0.0721 mm. The error in the original solution was caused by using the incorrect value for volume.
mreaume

Homework Statement

A solid sphere of brass (bulk modulus of 14.0*10^10 N/m^2) with a diameter of 3.00 m is thrown into the ocean. By how much does the diameter of the sphere decrease as it sings to a depth of 1.0 km?

Homework Equations

Gauge pressure = density(water)*g*h
Bulk Modulus = -(ΔP/ΔV)*V

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving for ΔP = gauge pressure = 1000*9.81*1000=9.81*10^6.

I then isolated ΔV = -ΔP*V/B

V = 4/3*pi*r^3 = 14.14 m^3

I plugged in and got 9.906*10^-4 m^3.

I then solved for r in v=4/3*pi*r^3 (where I took V to be equal to 9.906*10^-4).

The answer I am getting for r is 6.18cm, which would be a difference of 12.36 cm when considering the diameter. But the answer is 0.0721 mm.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your error is here: "I then solved for r in v=4/3*pi*r^3 (where I took V to be equal to 9.906*10^-4)". You should have used v = 14.14 - 9.906*10^-4, and you need to figure out how to get the change in r without roundoff error.

Chet

1. What is the bulk modulus of brass?

The bulk modulus of brass is a measure of its resistance to compression under pressure. It is typically around 60 GPa (gigapascals) for common brass alloys.

2. What is the problem with the sphere of brass diameter change?

The problem with the sphere of brass diameter change is that as pressure is applied to the sphere, its volume decreases and its diameter increases. This phenomenon is known as Poisson's ratio and can cause mechanical instability in the material.

3. How is the bulk modulus problem of a brass sphere relevant in real-world applications?

The bulk modulus problem of a brass sphere is relevant in many industries, including engineering, construction, and manufacturing. It can impact the structural integrity and performance of materials under pressure, such as in hydraulic systems or in the design of pressure vessels.

4. What factors can affect the bulk modulus of a brass sphere?

The bulk modulus of a brass sphere can be affected by various factors, including temperature, composition of the alloy, and the presence of impurities. Additionally, the crystal structure of the brass can also impact its bulk modulus.

5. How is the bulk modulus of a brass sphere calculated?

The bulk modulus of a brass sphere can be calculated using the formula K = -V(dP/dV), where K is the bulk modulus, V is the volume of the sphere, and (dP/dV) is the change in pressure over the change in volume. This formula is based on the definition of bulk modulus as the ratio of stress to strain in a material.