Calculating Temperature Change in the Bullet and Block Problem

In summary: I don’t know how to calculate that. I’ve never done that before.What’s the temperature increase be if the KE is lost by 5.3 J?If the kinetic energy is lost by 5.3 j then the temperature would increase by 0.64*5.3=3.92 degrees Celsius.
avinhajo
Homework Statement
A 0,47 g lead bullet moving at 151 m/s is stopped in a block of wood. All of the kinetic energy goes into heat energy added to the bullet. The initial temperature of the bullet is 32 degrees C. What is the final temperature of the bullet in degrees Celsius. The specific heat of the bullet is 130 and the mass of the wooden block is 5 g
Relevant Equations
Mv^2/2
I think that the kinetic energy is equal to heat right. Mv^2 / 2 = ms delta T
Delta T is 0,64
But I don’t really know if the temperature decreases or increases at the end

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome. Do you need help?

Type the words you want to say on the keyboard. :wink:

DaveC426913 said:
Type the words you want to say on the keyboard. :wink:
Now I know how this works haha

osilmag said:
Welcome. Do you need help?

Yes please

You need to show your attempts at an answer before we can help.

DaveC426913 said:
You need to show your attempts at an answer before we can help.
Oh ok, I will

avinhajo said:
Homework Statement:: A 0,47 g lead bullet moving at 151 m/s is stopped in a block of wood. All of the kinetic energy goes into heat energy added to the bullet. The initial temperature of the bullet is 32 degrees C. What is the final temperature of the bullet in degrees Celsius. The specific heat of the bullet is 130 and the mass of the wooden block is 5 g
Relevant Equations:: Mv^2/2

I think that the kinetic energy is equal to heat right. Mv^2 / 2 = ms delta T
Delta T is 0,64
But I don’t really know if the temperature decreases or increases at the end
Is that the whole question? Is there a diagram that shows whether the block can move or not?

Are you sure that the mass of the block of wood is not ##5kg##?

You might want to change the title from "Physics" to "Bullet and Block problem".

PeroK said:
Is that the whole question? Is there a diagram that shows whether the block can move or not?

Are you sure that the mass of the block of wood is not ##5kg##?

You might want to change the title from "Physics" to "Bullet and Block problem".
Yes, the mass of the wooden block is 5 g NOT 5kg.
There is no diagram but the bullet get stuck in the block so it’s an inelastic collusion I think. I’ve calculated the velocity of both bullet and block and got 12.97 m/s

avinhajo said:
Yes, the mass of the wooden block is 5 g NOT 5kg.
There is no diagram but the bullet get stuck in the block so it’s an inelastic collusion I think. I’ve calculated the velocity of both bullet and block and got 12.97 m/s
I don't know that I would trust ##5g## of wood to stop a bullet. The ##13m/s## might be right (assuming the bullet does stop) but it is still quite fast.

if we assume that it’s correct, the question would be if the temperature of the bullet increases or decreases at the end? The temperature difference is 0,64. So should the temperature of the bullet be 32.64 degrees Celsius or 31.36 Celsius?

I would think that the change in energy would flow from the speeding bullet to the block/bullet mass, bringing the temperature of the bullet down, and the block up.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
avinhajo said:
if we assume that it’s correct, the question would be if the temperature of the bullet increases or decreases at the end? The temperature difference is 0,64. So should the temperature of the bullet be 32.64 degrees Celsius or 31.36 Celsius?

If you want to cool down a bullet you put it in the fridge! You don't fire it into a block!

osilmag said:
I would think that the change in energy would flow from the speeding bullet to the block/bullet mass, bringing the temperature of the bullet down, and the block up.
Even though the question says “All of the kinetic energy goes into heat energy added to the bullet”.

osilmag said:
You think wrong! Certainly the block ought to heat up as well, but the simplifying assumption is that the block does not heat up.

Likes avinhajo
Thank
PeroK said:
If you want to cool down a bullet you put it in the fridge! You don't fire it into a block!
Oh now I know, thank you so much 😅😋 🙏🏼

Likes PeroK
avinhajo said:
The temperature increase must be much greater than that.

PeroK said:
The temperature increase must be much greater than that.
Hmm what have I done wrong? 🤔

avinhajo said:
Hmm what have I done wrong? 🤔
It's hard to say since you haven't shown your working.

PeroK said:
It's hard to say since you haven't shown your working.

Attachments

• 15D9E599-751E-4D6C-9B68-FCB1643E110A.jpeg
    15D9E599-751E-4D6C-9B68-FCB1643E110A.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 88
How much KE was lost by the bullet?

5.3 J?

avinhajo said:
5.3 J?
That sounds about right. How does that translate into a temperature increase?

PeroK said:
That sounds about right. How does that translate into a temperature increase?
I don’t think I understand

avinhajo said:
I don’t think I understand
You must have understood something to compute a temperature increase of ##0.64K##.

PeroK said:
You must have understood something to compute a temperature increase of ##0.64K##.
Kinetic energy = heat energy?

PeroK said:
Is it 5,3 = ms delta T?

avinhajo said:
All of the kinetic energy goes into heat energy added to the bullet.
I assume this should say "All of the lost kinetic energy goes into heat energy added to the bullet. "

Likes docnet
haruspex said:
I assume this should say "All of the lost kinetic energy goes into heat energy added to the bullet. "
Oooohhh I see. Thank you so much 🙏🏼

avinhajo said:
Is it 5,3J = ms delta T?
Yes, so let's see the calculation. I assume ##s = 130 J kg^{-1}K^{-1}##.

1. How do you calculate the temperature change in the bullet and block problem?

The temperature change in the bullet and block problem can be calculated using the formula Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

2. What is the specific heat capacity and how does it affect the temperature change?

The specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. It affects the temperature change by determining how much heat energy is needed to raise the temperature of the bullet and block.

3. What is the mass of the bullet and block and how does it impact the temperature change?

The mass of the bullet and block refers to the amount of matter in each object. It impacts the temperature change because the more mass there is, the more heat energy is needed to raise the temperature.

4. How does the initial temperature of the bullet and block affect the final temperature after the collision?

The initial temperature of the bullet and block can affect the final temperature after the collision because it determines the amount of heat energy that is already present in the objects. If the initial temperature is higher, the final temperature may also be higher due to the additional heat energy.

5. What other factors can affect the temperature change in the bullet and block problem?

Other factors that can affect the temperature change in the bullet and block problem include the material of the objects, the velocity of the bullet, and the duration of the collision. These factors can impact the amount of heat energy transferred and therefore, the final temperature change.