Bullet and Pendulum Problem

In summary: So, using that information, i was able to solve for the minimum value of v, which is approximately 6.37 m/s.In summary, for Part A, the critical value v is 975.61 m/s. For Part B, the minimum value of v is approximately 6.37 m/s.
mathematical

Homework Statement

diagram: http://goo.gl/uPl0

Part A
A bullet of mass 0.0175 kg and speed vb passes completely through a pendulum bob of mass 1.3 kg. The bullet emerges with a speed 0.5vb. The pendulum bob is suspended by a stiff rod of length 1.1 m and negligible mass. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2. What is the critical value v, such that when vb > v , the pendulum bob will barely swing through a complete vertical circle?

Part B

Suppose that the pendulum bob is suspended from a light flexible cord instead of a stiff rod.
Now what is the minimum value of v such that the pendulum bob will swing through a
complete vertical circle?

2. The attempt at a solution

I was able to get part A by using conservation of momentum and conservation of energy and ended up with 975.61 m/s for v.

However, I am stuck on part B and do not know how to proceed. I know it has something to do with the tension of the cord, but am not exactly how to factor that in.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
help anyone?

never mind, i got it! i figured out that at the top of the pendulum, centripetal force had to be equal to the force of gravity because there is no tension to support the bob.

What is the Bullet and Pendulum Problem?

The Bullet and Pendulum Problem is a classic physics problem that involves a bullet being fired into a pendulum and analyzing the resulting motion of the pendulum.

What are the key variables in the Bullet and Pendulum Problem?

The key variables in the Bullet and Pendulum Problem are the mass of the bullet, the mass and length of the pendulum, the initial velocity of the bullet, and the angle of release for the pendulum.

What assumptions are made in solving the Bullet and Pendulum Problem?

The main assumptions made in solving the Bullet and Pendulum Problem are that there is no air resistance, the bullet does not get stuck in the pendulum, and the collision between the bullet and pendulum is perfectly elastic.

What equations are used to solve the Bullet and Pendulum Problem?

The conservation of energy and conservation of momentum equations are used to solve the Bullet and Pendulum Problem. These equations relate the initial and final energies and momentums of the system.

What is the significance of the Bullet and Pendulum Problem?

The Bullet and Pendulum Problem is a great example of the application of physics principles in real-world scenarios. It also helps to understand the concepts of energy, momentum, and collisions.