1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bullet drop calculation

1. Jun 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I was wondering if you guys could see if my equation on bullet drop is correct. I know there are more factors than what I am presenting, but this is only a simplified version....

The distance an object with 0 initial vertical velocity falls is [tex]d_{drop}=\frac{1}{2}gt^{2}[/tex], and [tex]t=t_{flight}[/tex], the total time the bullet is in flight.

The velocity of the bullet is [tex]v_{bullet}=\frac{d}{t}[/tex] and in this case, [tex]d=d_{target}[/tex], and [tex]t=t_{flight}=\frac{d_{target}}{v_{bullet}}[/tex].

Combine these two and you get: [tex]d_{drop}=\frac{gd_{target}^{2}}{2v_{bullet}^2}[/tex]

Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2010 #2
    Correct.

4. Jun 7, 2010 #3
    cool, so just a fun fact using this model, if you had to hit a target a mile away with a rifle that shoots at 2850 feet per second from the muzzle (assuming velocity stays constant along the path), you would have to shoot about 55 feet above the target

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook