1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bullet fired into block on spring

1. Dec 4, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 1.01x10^-2 kg bullet is fired horizontally into a 2.49kg wooden block attached to one end of a massless, horizontal spring (k=831 N/m). The other end of the spring is fixed in place, and the spring is unstrained initially. The block rests on a horizontal, frictionless surface. The bullet strikes the block perpendicularly and quickly comes to a halt with in it. As a result of this completely inelastic collision, the spring is compressed along its axis and causes the block/bullet to oscillate with an amplitude of 0.20m. What is the speed of the bullet?

2. Relevant equations

1/2mvf^2 + 1/2Iwf^2 +mghf+ 1/2kxf^2 = 1/2mvo^2 + 1/2Iwo^2 +mgho+ 1/2kxo^2
    Aw = v
    Aw^2 = a

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure what to do w/ this equation. Do I use energy laws to figure it out? If I do then I'm not sure how to change the equation to find vf. I originally tried w= sqrt(k/m+M) and got 18.2m/s but that's wrong

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Think of this problem as having two parts:
    (1) The collision of bullet with block. What's conserved?
    (2) The compression of the spring. What's conserved?

4. Dec 4, 2006 #3
    Well for the collision of the bullet with the block u have vom1=(m1+m2)v, but i don't know the intial speed so i'm not sure
    and for the compression of the spring...? all I know is Hooke's Law is F=-kx, and U=1/2kx^2

5. Dec 4, 2006 #4

Doc Al

Good. Momentum is conserved during the collision.

Good. After the bullet collides with the block, and the spring is compressed, what's conserved?

6. Dec 4, 2006 #5
    when they collide its an inelastic collision so the kinetic energy isn't conserved, so i'm not sure

7. Dec 4, 2006 #6

Doc Al

You are right: During the collision, mechanical energy is not conserved (but momentum is). But what about after the collision, when the block/bullet moves and compresses the spring?

8. Dec 4, 2006 #7
    potential energy?

9. Dec 4, 2006 #8
    well since its oscillating then the w is conserved and the energy is also conserved

10. Dec 4, 2006 #9

Doc Al

After the collision, total mechanic energy is conserved. What are the two kinds of energy relevant here?

11. Dec 4, 2006 #10
    1/2kx^2 + ?

12. Dec 4, 2006 #11

Doc Al

Yes, spring potential energy is one kind. What's the other? (Hint: It's not conserved in an inelastic collision.)

13. Dec 4, 2006 #12
    kinetic 1/2mv^2 ?

14. Dec 4, 2006 #13

Doc Al

Of course!

15. Dec 4, 2006 #14
    so then do i set everything equal? i'm still a little lost
    is it (m1+m2)v = 1/2kx^2 + 1/2mv^2 ? but then how do i know the original v?

16. Dec 4, 2006 #15

Doc Al

Momentum and energy are two completely different things--you can't set them equal.

Instead, get two equations--one describing conservation of momentum during the collision, the other describing conservation of energy after the collision--and solve them together to determine the initial speed.

What are those two equations?

17. Dec 4, 2006 #16
    well the momentum is m1v=(m1+m2)v so it's m1v-(m1+m2)v=0
    and the energy is 0=1/2kx^2 + 1/2mv^2
    so setting them equal i get...
    0.0101v-2.5001v= 166.2 + 1.25005v^2
    but then i'm confused

18. Dec 4, 2006 #17

Doc Al

Use different symbols for V (bullet) and Vf (block, after the collision).
    The energy is certainly not zero! The block moves after the bullet hits it. Initially it has only KE; when the block fully compresses the spring, it has only spring potential energy.
    Stop trying to set them equal. :smile:

Instead, write the equation for conservation of energy and use it to figure out the speed of the block after the bullet hits it. That's your first step.

19. Dec 4, 2006 #18
    well if i just use energy and i use 1/2kx^2 + 1/2mv^2 i get v=11.5m/s
    and then using momentum i do m1v=(m1+m2)v2 so it's 0.0101v= (2.5001)(11.5m/s) so v=2854.2, ok thats def wrong

20. Dec 4, 2006 #19

Doc Al

How did you arrive at this answer?

21. Dec 4, 2006 #20
    i plugged in numbers and solved for v, i'm confused because i don't know what the intial is

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?