1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bullet fired into wooden block. Trying to find kinetic energy of bullet and block.

1. Nov 7, 2008 #1
    Stuck on this one problem which states:
    A bullet with a mass of 6.00 g, traveling horizontally with a speed of 370 m/s, is fired into a wooden block with mass of 0.750 kg, initially at rest on a level surface. The bullet passes through the block and emerges with its speed reduced to 120 m/s. The block slides a distance of 49.0 cm along the surface from its initial position.
    Use g = 9.81 m/s^2 for the acceleration due to gravity.

And I am trying to find this:
    What is the kinetic energy of the block at the instant after the bullet passes through it?

If more information is needed, I can post it. Thanks in advance for your help.

Btw, the first portion of the question asked for the coefficient of friction, which I was able to get:
    What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between block and surface?

and this:
    What is the decrease in kinetic energy of the bullet?
    368 J

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Bullet fired into wooden block. Trying to find kinetic energy of bullet and bloc

Can you find an expression for conservation of energy of the system?

Of course we are ignoring any deformation of the block or bullet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?