Calculating Vertical Height & Speed of Bullet Fired Upwards

• Thread starter espenth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bullet
In summary, the conversation discusses a bullet being fired vertically upwards with a beginning speed of 70 m/s. The task focuses on calculating the height and time it takes for the bullet to reach its peak, as well as its speed and acceleration when it returns to its starting point. The air resistance is assumed to be proportional to the speed, with a proportionality constant of 1.6 * 10^-2 kg/s and a bullet mass of 0.100 kg. Integration and Newton's second law are mentioned as possible approaches to solving the problem.
espenth
A bullet fired vertically upwards with a beginning speed 70 m / s. In this task, we shall assume that the sphere is exposed to air resistance is proportional to the speed, and given by. Proportionality constant k = 1.6 * 10 ^ -2 kg / s and the bullets mass m = 0.100 kg. We expect that the acceleration due to gravity is constant g = 9.81 m/s2.

a) Calculate how high the ball is coming, and how long it takes to peak.

b) What speed is the bullet when it comes back to the starting point, and how long does it take from the vertex to the starting point? What is the acceleration, then?

I guess I have to use integration on the air resistance, but I don't know how to start on this question. Anyone got a sugestion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you start with Newton's second law?

ehild

I know about Newtons law..

In free fall, with air resistance, the equation is something like:

m*g - k*v = m*dV/dT.

But this is for free fall, I guess the one I need is a little bit different?

It is almost the same, but take care of the signs. If the bullet goes upward, both gravity and air resistance point downward.

ehild

1. How do you calculate the vertical height of a bullet fired upwards?

The vertical height of a bullet fired upwards can be calculated using the formula h = v2sin2θ/2g, where h is the height, v is the initial velocity of the bullet, θ is the angle of elevation, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the initial velocity of a bullet fired upwards?

The initial velocity of a bullet fired upwards can be measured using a chronograph or calculated using the formula v = √(2gh), where v is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height reached by the bullet.

3. How does the angle of elevation affect the calculations for vertical height and speed of a bullet fired upwards?

The angle of elevation has a direct impact on the calculations for the vertical height and speed of a bullet fired upwards. A higher angle of elevation will result in a greater vertical height and a longer flight time for the bullet. However, the initial velocity will remain the same regardless of the angle of elevation.

4. Can the speed of a bullet fired upwards be calculated using only the vertical height?

No, the speed of a bullet fired upwards cannot be calculated using only the vertical height. The speed is dependent on the initial velocity and the angle of elevation, in addition to the vertical height.

5. How accurate are the calculations for vertical height and speed of a bullet fired upwards?

The accuracy of the calculations for vertical height and speed of a bullet fired upwards depends on several factors, such as the accuracy of the measurements taken and the assumptions made (e.g. ignoring air resistance). However, in ideal conditions, the calculations can be fairly accurate.