1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bullet Force

1. Oct 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A bullet of mass 0.0022 kg initially moving at 504 m/s embeds itself in a large fixed piece of wood and travels 0.72 m before coming to rest. Assume that the acceleration of the bullet is constant.

What force is exerted by the wood on the bullet?

F=N

2. Relevant equations

Ok, so I need to find acceleration to plug into the equation for force, which is F=m*a. The equation I am using is x=x0 + v0*t + .5*a*t^2.

3. The attempt at a solution

x=x0 + v0*t + .5*a*t^2 so this equation need to be set to solve for a. This is what I am plugging in:

x0 = 0
    v0 = 504
    t = 0.0014 (from d/s = t)

My answer is a = 0.706

The equation vf^2 = v0^2 + 2a (delta x), and set to solve for a but I am a bit confused about delta x? In this equation, vf = 0.72 and v0 = 504

I am either having trouble setting up the first equation for a, or I am using the wrong one in which case, I am not sure by what is meant by delta x in the second. Some direction is appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2008 #2
    It was looking good, but you said this:

"x0 = 0
    v0 = 504
    t = 0.0014 (from d/s = t)"

This assumes constant velocity, which it's not.

You have to use this formula instead : [tex] v^2 = u^2 + 2as [/tex] where v = final velocity
    u = initial velocity
    a = acceleration
    s = displacement.

Solve for acceleration, then multiply by mass.

4. Oct 11, 2008 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You could use this method if you found the right time. To find the time you need to use the average speed, not the initial speed.

This equation is a better choice, but 0.72m is the distance (Δx) not the final speed. (The final speed is zero, of course.)

5. Oct 12, 2008 #4
    Thanks for the help!

I got the correct answer of 388.08 N by taking the equation v^2=u^2 + 2as and solving for a and then multiplying by mass. Both of your suggestions were very helpful in helping me to understand these concepts better!

:smile:

6. Oct 12, 2008 #5

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It often is helpful in this kind of problem to use a graph. A graph of speed vs. time makes it very easy. The slope is the acceleration (constant -) and the distance is the area under the graph.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?