1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bullet-in-Block with Spring

1. Dec 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A pellet gun fires a bullet into a stationary block of wood that is attached to a spring on a frictionless surface. When the bullet enters the wood, it reamins inside, and the bullet and block enter into simple harmonic motion with amplitude = 11cm. The bullet ( m = 5g) was initially travelling at 650 m/s before hitting the block of wood ( m = 2.5kg).

A: What is the spring constant of the spring?
    B: What is the total energy of the system after the collision?(I know how to solve this one, I just need A to solve it.)
    C: What is the maximum acceleration of the bullet/block system once it begins its oscillation?
    D:Where will the bullet and block reach 0 velocity?(I think this is at the equilibrium position, but I'm not sure how to solve for it)

We know:
    the amplitude of the block-and-bullet is .11m
    the mass of the bullet is .005kg
    the mass of the block is 2.5kg
    the mass of the bullet-and-block is 2.505kg
    the velocity of the bullet before it hits the block is 650 m/s.

2. Relevant equations
    I know for B that you use the equation for total energy, kinetic energy + potential energy.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My attempt at A; it wasn't so good. I tried using F = -kx, but that of course didn't work since we don't know the acceleration to solve for F. Then I considered kx=mg, but that doesn't work either because that only works for a spring that is suspended. So I'm not really sure where to go with this :eek:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Hint: What's the speed of "block+bullet" immediately after the collision?

4. Dec 13, 2008 #3
    :yuck:I really don't know Al.

5. Dec 13, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Hint: What's conserved in any collision?

6. Dec 13, 2008 #5
    Errrrr it's either energy or momentum. I think momentum.

7. Dec 13, 2008 #6

Doc Al

Good. Use a conservation law to figure out the speed of "block+bullet" after they collide.

8. Dec 13, 2008 #7
    Alright. p=mv, so then .005*650=3.25; so 3.25/2.505= 1.297.
    So 1.297 would be the new velocity?

9. Dec 13, 2008 #8
    Is that correct?

10. Dec 13, 2008 #9

Doc Al

Perfect!

Now see if you can make use of that speed to solve part A (and part B, for that matter).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?