Solving Physics Homework: A Frustrating Struggle

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a physics problem involving impulse and momentum. The person initially attempted to use impulse momentum combined with conservation of energy, but got the wrong answer. They eventually found a solution through a different approach found on an online forum.
stinlin

Homework Statement

See link.

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/6383/picture15lj9.jpg

Homework Equations

Imp = integral F dt
mv = momentum
mgh
1/2 mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew to FBD's to find the impulses and such, but I just don't know what to do. I then tried to use impulse momentum combined with conservation of energy, but got the WRONG answer. I can take a picture of my work, but it'll mean nothing...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was interested in solving this problem, but it turned out to be trickier than I thought it was...maybe I suck? heheanyways, google helped me find this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-72193.html

looks familiar doesn't it?how frustrating...somehow I overlooked the use of v = vo + a*t

so simple when you get another perspective, sometimes you get tunnel vision and want to solve it your own way but there are better ways

anyways blah...rambling

Last edited:

I understand the frustration that comes with solving physics homework problems. It can be a challenging and time-consuming process, but it is important to remember that solving these problems is an essential part of learning and understanding the principles of physics.

In this specific problem, it seems like you have already made some good attempts at finding a solution. Drawing free body diagrams and using equations such as impulse-momentum and conservation of energy are definitely the right approaches. However, it is possible that there may be some small mistakes in your calculations or assumptions that are leading to the wrong answer.

My suggestion would be to carefully review your work and double-check all the steps and calculations. It can also be helpful to try solving the problem from a different perspective or using a different approach. Sometimes, looking at the problem in a new way can help you identify where you may have made a mistake.

Remember, solving physics problems takes practice and patience. Don't get discouraged if you don't get the right answer on the first try. Keep working at it and seek help from your teacher or classmates if needed. With determination and perseverance, you will eventually master these concepts and be able to solve even the most challenging physics problems.

1. Why is solving physics homework such a frustrating struggle?

Solving physics homework can be a frustrating struggle for many reasons. The subject matter can be complex and challenging, requiring a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and principles. Additionally, physics problems often have multiple steps and can be time-consuming to solve, leading to frustration and exhaustion.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

Improving problem-solving skills in physics takes time and practice. Start by understanding the fundamental concepts and principles of physics, and then work on solving problems step-by-step. It can also be helpful to work with classmates or seek assistance from a tutor or teacher.

3. Is there a specific approach or strategy for solving physics problems?

Yes, there are several approaches and strategies that can be used to solve physics problems. One common strategy is to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts, and then use equations and principles to solve each part. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams or create visual representations of the problem.

4. How can I avoid making mistakes when solving physics homework?

Mistakes are a common occurrence when solving physics homework, but there are ways to minimize them. Pay close attention to units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem. Also, double-check your calculations and make sure you're using the correct formulas and equations.

5. What resources are available to help with solving physics homework?

There are many resources available to help you with solving physics homework. Your textbook and class notes are excellent starting points. There are also many online resources, such as video tutorials and practice problems, that can help you better understand and solve physics problems. Additionally, seeking help from your teacher or a tutor can be beneficial.