Fmax=36.4NWhat is the maximum force exerted on a bullet by a wooden block?

In summary, a 10.0-g bullet traveling at 200 m/s strikes a fixed wooden block and comes to rest 22 cm inside the block. The magnitude of the force exerted on the bullet by the block is shown in a graph. To find the value of Fmax, we can use the equation W = Fd, where W is work done, F is force, and d is distance. However, this does not equal the kinetic energy of the bullet, which is not 2J.
xstetsonx
A 10.0-g bullet traveling at 200 m/s strikes a fixed wooden block. The bullet comes to rest 22 cm inside the block. The magnitude of the force exerted on the bullet by the block over its 22-cm travel is shown in graph below. Find the value of Fmax.

my attempt:

p=mv=(0.01kg)(200m/s)=2J

(.22m)/(200m/s)=0.0011s

(0.0011/2)(fmax)+(.5)(0.0011/2)(fmax)=2J
----rectangle----------triangle--------total area----

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 388
Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum is not measured in Joules.

oops i guess it is Newton then but besides that am i right?

No, it is not Newton either. Momentum doesn't have named unit.

Given force and distance it will be easier to calculate work done, not change in momentum.

may i ask how would you start it with work and energy?
i know you can get the kinetic energy but what is next?

xstetsonx said:
may i ask how would you start it with work and energy?
i know you can get the kinetic energy but what is next?

The integral of the force over the distance is the work done on the bullet. As you seem to be computing. Shouldn't that equal the kinetic energy of the bullet? Which is not 2J.

Last edited:

What is Fmax?

Fmax is a term used in physics and engineering to describe the maximum force that an object can withstand before breaking or reaching its limit.

What does the unit "N" stand for in Fmax=36.4N?

The unit "N" stands for Newton, which is the standard unit of measurement for force in the International System of Units (SI).

How is Fmax=36.4N calculated?

Fmax=36.4N is calculated by measuring the force applied to an object and determining the maximum amount of force it can withstand before breaking or reaching its limit.

Can Fmax=36.4N be converted to other units of force?

Yes, Fmax=36.4N can be converted to other units of force such as pounds (lbs) or kilogram-force (kgf) using conversion factors. For example, 1N is equal to approximately 0.225lbs or 0.10197kgf.

Why is Fmax=36.4N important in science and engineering?

Fmax=36.4N is important because it helps scientists and engineers understand the limitations of materials and structures, and determine the maximum load they can withstand before failing. This information is crucial in designing and testing various products and structures.