1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bullet into Ice

1. May 24, 2007 #1
    A 2.65g aluminum bullet at 31.4°C is fired at a speed of 209 m/s into a large block of ice at 0°C, in which it embeds itself. What quantity of ice melts?

so i get a final answer of 2.23E-4kg but its wrong. i think im either missing a step because im not using the velocity of the bullet, or im plugging wrong numbers in. any help is appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2007 #2

Gold Member

I think you need to consider the change in kinetic energy, which i assume is all converted to heat energy, thus, increasing the temperature of the bullet.
  4. May 24, 2007 #3
    what formula would i use for that? i looked in my book and i couldnt come up with a formula...
  5. May 24, 2007 #4

Gold Member

Well kinetic energy is given by [tex]E_k = \frac{{mv^2 }}{2}[/tex].

You can work out the initial kinetic energy by simply using m=0.00265, v=209, and then find a final kinetic energy, using the same mass, but v=0, since it has stopped in the ice. Then find the change in energy from those.
  6. May 24, 2007 #5
    alright i got it thank you very much!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?