1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bullet shot into a block #2

1. Mar 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A bullet of mass m is fired into a block of mass M initially at rest on a frictionless table of height h. The bullet remains m in the block, and after impact the block lands a distance d from the bottom of the table. Determine the initial speed of the bullet.

2. Relevant equations

I used (m +M)gh for the potential energy and set that equal to the kinetic energy ½(m + M)v₂² and found that v₂ = √(2gh).

And since it was a completely inelastic collision (right?) I used mv₁ = (m + M)v₂ → v₁ = (m + M)v₂ * 1/m

Is this right?

3. The attempt at a solution

initial velocity = √(2gh)*((m + M)/m)
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

What about the distance d?
  4. Mar 23, 2010 #3
    That's the thing, I din't know what do with it. That's why I'm here for help.
  5. Mar 24, 2010 #4
    First solve for the speed of the bullet+block by finding time, (you already have distance):

From kinematic equation [tex] h = 1/2 at^2 [/tex], solve for t: [tex]t=\sqrt(2h/g)[/tex]

Now we know the speed of the bullet+block is just the distance "d" divided by time, so [tex] v_2 = d * \sqrt(g/2h)[/tex].

Using momentum equations, just as you did, [tex]v_1 = ((m+M)/m) * v_2 = ((m+M)/m) * [d * \sqrt(g/2h)][/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook