What is the initial speed of a bullet shot into a block on a frictionless table?

In summary, A bullet of mass m is fired into a block of mass M initially at rest on a frictionless table of height h. The bullet remains m in the block, and after impact the block lands a distance d from the bottom of the table. To determine the initial speed of the bullet, the formula used was (m+M)gh for potential energy, which was set equal to kinetic energy ½(m+M)v₂², resulting in v₂ = √(2gh). Since it was a completely inelastic collision, the formula mv₁ = (m+M)v₂ was used, with the final answer being v₁ = √(2gh)*((m+M)/m). However, there
oadeyemi

Homework Statement

A bullet of mass m is fired into a block of mass M initially at rest on a frictionless table of height h. The bullet remains m in the block, and after impact the block lands a distance d from the bottom of the table. Determine the initial speed of the bullet.

Homework Equations

I used (m +M)gh for the potential energy and set that equal to the kinetic energy ½(m + M)v₂² and found that v₂ = √(2gh).

And since it was a completely inelastic collision (right?) I used mv₁ = (m + M)v₂ → v₁ = (m + M)v₂ * 1/m

Is this right?

The Attempt at a Solution

initial velocity = √(2gh)*((m + M)/m)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have an attempt at the problem? If not, tell me your thought process for the problem.

satchmo05 said:
Do you have an attempt at the problem? If not, tell me your thought process for the problem.

I used (m +M)gh for the potential energy and set that equal to the kinetic energy ½(m + M)v₂² and found that v₂ = √(2gh).

And since it was a completely inelastic collision (right?) I used mv₁ = (m + M)v₂ → v₁ = (m + M)v₂ * 1/m

Is this right?

oadeyemi said:
I used mv₁ = (m + M)v₂ → v₁ = (m + M)v₂ * 1/m

Something about this chunk doesn't seem right to me for some reason. Everything else is correct, from my understanding. Is this a formula you received from your text, or is this something that you derived yourself?

Check out the Wiki article, I think I see where you're going with this, but I see a slight error in your formula: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inelastic_collision

satchmo05 said:
Something about this chunk doesn't seem right to me for some reason. Everything else is correct, from my understanding. Is this a formula you received from your text, or is this something that you derived yourself?

Check out the Wiki article, I think I see where you're going with this, but I see a slight error in your formula: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inelastic_collision

It's from my textbook

I think the formula here is OK, wiki describes different situation (initial velocity of M not being zero) and uses different symbols, hence the confusion.

Problems are with the other part - v2 that you calculated from the energy conservation is a vertical component of the speed when block with a bullet hits the ground. That's not initial HORIZONTAL speed of the body.

Borek said:
I think the formula here is OK, wiki describes different situation (initial velocity of M not being zero) and uses different symbols, hence the confusion.

Problems are with the other part - v2 that you calculated from the energy conservation is a vertical component of the speed when block with a bullet hits the ground. That's not initial HORIZONTAL speed of the body.

Elaborate please

Once the bodies (m+M) left the table they behave just like something thrown norizontally - they maintain horizontal speed, but they start to fall down, till they hit the ground at distance d from the table border.

1. What happens to a bullet when it is shot into a block?

When a bullet is shot into a block, it will penetrate and create a hole in the block, transferring its kinetic energy to the block. The bullet will also experience a deceleration as it travels through the block due to the force of the block pushing back against it.

2. How does the speed of the bullet affect its penetration into the block?

The speed of the bullet has a significant impact on its penetration into the block. The faster the bullet is traveling, the more kinetic energy it has and the deeper it will penetrate into the block. This is because the force of the bullet is greater at higher speeds, allowing it to overcome the resistance of the block more easily.

3. Can a bullet be completely stopped by a block?

Yes, a bullet can be completely stopped by a block depending on the type and thickness of the block. Blocks made of dense materials like steel or concrete are more likely to stop a bullet compared to softer materials like wood or plastic. The speed and type of bullet also play a role in whether it can be stopped by a block.

4. What factors affect the depth of the bullet's penetration into the block?

Several factors can affect the depth of a bullet's penetration into a block. These include the speed and type of bullet, the density and thickness of the block, and the angle at which the bullet strikes the block. The distance traveled by the bullet before hitting the block can also impact its penetration depth.

5. Is it possible for a bullet to ricochet off a block?

Yes, it is possible for a bullet to ricochet off a block. This occurs when the bullet strikes the block at a glancing angle and bounces off instead of penetrating. The likelihood of a bullet ricocheting off a block depends on the material and thickness of the block, as well as the speed and type of bullet.