How can I determine the speed of a bullet fired into a block of wood?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the speed of a bullet fired into a block of wood. The answer of 2.5 m/s was originally given, but after further calculation, the correct answer is determined to be 100.5 m/s. The concept of momentum conservation is mentioned in the conversation as well.
Crashdowngurl
Bullet speed- Please Help!

I am not to great at physics and I was hoping someone could point me where I am going wrong in this problem! :) My answer I came up with is 2.5 m/s but that isn't one of my options so I know something has to be off.

5. To find the speed with which a gun fires bullets, a bullet of mass 5 gm is fired horizontally into a 10 Kg block of wood resting on a frictionless table. The bullet gets embedded in the block and the block is found to have a velocity of 0.5 m/s after collision. What is the speed of the bullet?

Bullet Speed= 2.5 m/s

Mv1i + 0 = (m +M)V
Mv1i + 0 = (5gm +10 kg) .5 m/s
m1 u1 + m2 u2 = (m1 + m2) V
(5gm u1) + (10kg *0m/s) = (5gm + 10kg) .5m/s
(5gm u1) + (0) =7.5
u1 = 2.5 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of the conservaton off momentum. Remember the bullet is embeded in the block.

added by edit: Never mind. I didn't look at your work well enough. You've got the idea. But (5gm + 10kg)=1005gm not 15gm.

regards

Last edited:
So... :)

So would this be more on track:

Mv1i + 0 = (m +M)V
Mv1i + 0 = (5gm +10 kg) .5 m/s
m1 u1 + m2 u2 = (m1 + m2) V
(5gm u1) + (10kg *0m/s) = (5gm + 10kg) .5m/s
(5gm u1) + (10kg *0m/s) = (1005gm) .5m/s
(5gm u1) + (0) = 502.5
u1 = 100.5 m/s

Bullet Speed= 100.5 m/s

Thank you so much for your help! :)

Emma

Any time. And welcome to the forums.

What is bullet speed?

Bullet speed is the velocity at which a bullet travels through the air. It is typically measured in feet per second (fps) or meters per second (m/s).

How fast does a bullet travel?

The speed of a bullet can vary depending on the type of gun and ammunition used. On average, a handgun bullet can travel at speeds between 800-1200 fps, while a rifle bullet can reach speeds of 2500 fps or more.

What factors affect bullet speed?

The main factors that can affect bullet speed include the type of gun and ammunition used, the length and rifling of the gun barrel, and the atmospheric conditions (such as temperature, humidity, and altitude).

Can a bullet travel faster than the speed of sound?

Yes, some bullets can travel faster than the speed of sound, which is approximately 1125 fps. These types of bullets are known as supersonic bullets and are commonly used in rifles.

What is the fastest recorded bullet speed?

The fastest recorded bullet speed was achieved by the .220 Swift rifle cartridge, which was able to reach a speed of 4660 fps.