1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bullet speed

1. Nov 18, 2007 #1
    Does a bullet speed up after leaving the gun?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2007 #2

LURCH

Science Advisor

If it's fired downhill in a vacuum, yes. Otherwise, no.

4. Nov 18, 2007 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

We got this exact question a month or so ago - where is this coming from, Charles?

5. Nov 18, 2007 #4
    I was driving my van the other day and i noticed that when i pressed the clutch in to change to second gear the van seemed to continue accelerrate, with nothing powering it, just for maybe 1 second(or perhaps i imagined it).

That got me thinking about other things like bullets. Also does a cricket ball accelerate away from the bat with nothing pushing it, surely it can't get to it's return speed instantly.

6. Nov 18, 2007 #5

rcgldr

Homework Helper

In the case of a gun, there's still some pressure just as the bullet leaves the barrel, but this is a very short distance.

Once a ball leaves a bat, golf club, ... it no longer accelerates, and starts decelerating because of drag immediately.

In the case of a van, the suspension relaxing after acceleration mave give a rider a sense of continued acceleration, but the center of mass isn't accelerating. Sometimes the lack of deceleration force felt when braking then releasing the brakes, and car body pitch can give a false sense of acceleration as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?