How Does Wood Slow Down a Bullet?

In summary: So you can solve for the force, F.In summary, the bullet of mass 0.0022 kg traveling at 488 m/s embeds itself in a large fixed piece of wood and travels 0.56 m before coming to rest. The deceleration of the bullet is constant and can be found using Newton's Second Law. The force exerted by the wood on the bullet can be calculated using the Work-Energy Theorem, which states that the sum of all work done on an object is equal to the change in kinetic energy.
mandabox

Homework Statement

A bullet of mass 0.0022 kg moving at 488 m/s embeds itself in a large fixed piece of wood and travels 0.56 m before coming to rest. Assume that the deceleration of the bullet is constant.

What force is exerted by the wood on the bullet?
F = N
1.01 NO

HELP: Find the deceleration of the bullet.
HELP: Use Newton's Second Law

Homework Equations

velocity & displacement:
v2=v02+2aΔx

Newton's 2nd Law:
F⃗net = ΣF⃗ = ma⃗

The Attempt at a Solution

Well clearly in the help options it told me to do what I had already done based on instinct.
I plugged v = 0 , v0 = 488m/s , and Δx = 0.56 m. I figured that at the end of 0.56 m the final velocity would have to be 0 and obviously when the bullet begins its deceleration it had hit the wood. So I plugged in 02 = (488m/s)2 + 2a(0.56m) and came out with the result a = -461.116657m/s2.

I plugged this into the formula for force and got an answer of -1.01. I tried both -1.01 and +1.01 and neither attempt worked and I got the same answer no matter the number of sigfigs I did my calculations with. Am I getting it wrong because I've overlooked something? This problem seemed easy, what am I doing wrong? Doesn't the wood exert a force that's equal and opposite on the force of the bullet? I am assuming the bullet is traveling parallel to the surface of the Earth along the positive x-axis.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just went even simpler and used v = Δd/Δt to find time and then a = Δv/Δt to find acceleration. But the time to the last decimal shown on my calculator is 0.001147541 seconds and the acceleration is an enormous number in the four hundred thousands! And depending on how many sigfigs I take from time dictates how large or small my acceleration will be and I've gotten a force ranging from 930 to 976 and none of them seem right. I've dealt with this TYCHO system before and I KNOW that it is picky about your numbers. But whether I keep all the numbers to the end or round it off to two sigfigs at EVERY step, it's wrong! I'm getting really frustrated with this.

After much deliberation and calculations I've discovered that the formula to use is in Chapter 8 of my textbook. 1/2mv2=Fd.

A bullet of mass 0.0022 kg moving at 488 m/s embeds itself in a large fixed piece of wood and travels 0.56 m before coming to rest. Assume that the deceleration of the bullet is constant.
What force is exerted by the wood on the bullet?
F = N *
467.78 OK

HELP: Find the deceleration of the bullet.
HELP: Use Newton's Second Law

I must have been plugging it into the original equations wrong because they also worked after I did a reverse calculation. I'm not sure how someone can make the same error for an hour but I guess that's what happened.

Last edited:
You should be able to easily use the Work-Energy Theorem for this problem:

[itex]\Sigma W=\Delta KE[/itex]

You know the change in kinetic energy, and you know the distance that the force is applied over.

Your calculations for the deceleration and the resulting force are correct. However, the negative sign indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the initial velocity of the bullet, which is towards the wood. This makes sense because the wood is exerting a force to stop the bullet's motion.

In order to get the correct answer, you need to pay attention to the directions of the forces. In this case, the force exerted by the wood on the bullet is in the opposite direction of the bullet's initial velocity. So the correct answer would be F = -1.01 N. The negative sign indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the initial velocity.

In general, when dealing with forces, it is important to pay attention to the directions of the forces and to assign negative signs to forces that act in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction. This will help you get the correct answer.

1. How does wood stop a bullet?

Wood is a natural material that has a high density and is able to absorb energy. When a bullet travels through wood, it must pass through the layers of fibers, which causes friction and slows down its speed. The wood also compresses and deforms, which further reduces the bullet's energy and velocity.

2. What type of wood is best for stopping bullets?

Hardwoods, such as oak, maple, and beech, are typically the best for stopping bullets. These types of wood have a higher density and are more resistant to penetration compared to softwoods like pine or cedar.

3. Can any thickness of wood stop a bullet?

No, the thickness of the wood is an important factor in stopping a bullet. Generally, the thicker the wood, the more layers the bullet must travel through, which increases the energy-absorbing capacity and slows down the bullet's speed. A minimum thickness of 1 inch is recommended for stopping most handgun bullets.

4. What factors affect a wood's ability to stop a bullet?

The density, thickness, and type of wood are the main factors that affect its ability to stop a bullet. Other factors such as the type of bullet, its velocity, and the angle at which it hits the wood can also play a role.

5. Can wood stop all types of bullets?

No, wood may not be able to stop high-velocity bullets or bullets with armor-piercing capabilities. It also may not be effective against rifles or other high-powered firearms. It is important to note that wood is not a reliable or recommended material for bulletproofing and should not be relied upon for personal safety.