How much will a lead bullet's temperature rise if it stops without losing heat?

• Thread starter Karol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bullet
In summary: As the bullet stops, the kinetic energy transforms into heat. The bullet does not melt, it does not have time to heat up to its melting point. In summary, a lead bullet flying at 350m/s strikes and stops, resulting in an increase in temperature due to the transformation of kinetic energy into heat. The temperature rise can be calculated using the equation Delta T = Energy of the bullet/specific heat * mass, with a result of 472 degrees. However, in real life scenarios, the conversion of kinetic energy to heat may not be the only factor at play and the surroundings may also experience a rise in temperature.
Karol

Homework Statement

A lead bullet flies at 350[m/s], hits and stops. if no heat escapes, how much will it's temperature rise

Homework Equations

##Q[cal]=m\cdot c\cdot \Delta t##
Specific heat of lead: c=0.031
1[cal]=4.186[Joule]

The Attempt at a Solution

The kinetic energy: [itex]E=\frac{1}{2}mv^2=\frac{1}{2}m\cdot 350^2=m\cdot 61,250[Joule][/itex]
##\frac{61,250}{4.186}=14,632[cal]\rightarrow E=m\cdot 14,632[cal]##
##Q=E=m\cdot 14,632[cal]=m\cdot 0.031\cdot \Delta T##
And it gets a huge temperature

Physics news on Phys.org
The energy is in joules if m is in kg-s. At the same time you use cal/(g C°) for specific heat. So the m-s on both sides of the last equation are not the same, it is in kg-s on the left side and grams on the right side. Better to use the SI units.

ehild

The kinetic energy: [itex]E=\frac{1}{2}mv^2=\frac{1}{2}m\cdot 350^2=m\cdot 61,250[Joule][/itex]
##\frac{61,250}{4,186}=14.6[kcal]\rightarrow E=m\cdot 14.6[kcal]##
The specific heat doesn't change it's value, 0.031, because of the unit change:
##Q=E=m\cdot 14.6[kcal]=m\cdot 0.031\left[\frac{kcal}{kg\cdot k^0}\right] \cdot \Delta T\rightarrow Delta T=472^0##
Is that logical? the melting point of lead is 3270

Last edited:
May I make a suggestion? One should never use, in decimal fractions, three figures. Thus, the risk of confusion is easily avoided.

For example, when converting to SI units the sp. heat of lead, I would write 0,0310 cal/g*ºC x 4,1860 Joule/cal = 0,1298 J/g*ºC = 129,8 J/kg*K

A comment: I went to school in a 'decimal point country', and later moved to a 'decimal comma country'... I have always avoided three decimals, and even use the elevated comma to write them... 129'8 is, for example, my usual way of writing decimals... Not unusual in Spain, even if this is a 'decimal comma country'...

I see that the problem has been solved. So, I believe that I can now write down my solution, using SI units throughout:

Delta T = Energy of the bullet/specific heat * mass

As the kinetic energy of a bullet of m mass at 350 m/s is 61250m Joule, we have:

Delta T = 61250m Joule/((129,8 J/Kg*K )* m) = 61250/129,8 = 472 K of rise in temperature...

Last edited:
The kinetic energy: [itex]E=\frac{1}{2}mv^2=\frac{1}{2}m\cdot 350^2=m\cdot 61250[Joule][/itex]
##Q=E=m\cdot 61250[kcal]=m\cdot 129.8\left[\frac{Joule}{kg\cdot k^0}\right] \cdot \Delta T\rightarrow Delta T=472^0##
The same high result, does the bullet melt??

That's not relevant. This is a physics problem... In real life, it is difficult that the whole of the kinetic energy resulting from the strike may be converted in heating the bullet, as the target is usually deformed permanently and heats up somewhat, the bullet may permanently deform or break, (something that needs energy) it may recoil, or the pieces may recoil, taking away part of the kinetic energy, and that may result in other permanent deformations elsewhere, and in an increase of the temperature of the surroundings...

Karol said:

I think it's logical.
For a real bullet most of the energy is spent blowing someone's skull apart ?:) Which probably takes a fair amount of energy, which if converted to heat would be significant.

It's always good to check whether your answer makes some sort of physical sense. But in this case, as NTW points out it's hard to do.

Do not expect a problem maker to think of everything... :) The bullet stops in such a short time that it can not melt yet. It gets hot, it starts to melt and starts to give heat to the surroundings.
By the way, higher speed bullets are made of some alloy, which melts at higher temperature.

ehild

Thank you everybody, i won't mess with bullets...

Karol said:
The bullet gets heat, but target gets heat too

1. What is a bullet stop?

A bullet stop is a device or material used to slow down or completely stop the trajectory of a bullet. It is typically made of a dense material, such as steel, that can withstand the impact of a bullet and dissipate its kinetic energy.

2. How does a bullet stop work?

A bullet stop works by absorbing the kinetic energy of the bullet as it comes into contact with the material. This is typically achieved through deformation of the material, which helps to slow down the bullet and eventually bring it to a stop.

3. What factors affect the effectiveness of a bullet stop?

The effectiveness of a bullet stop can be affected by several factors, including the material used, the thickness and density of the material, the velocity and mass of the bullet, and the angle at which the bullet impacts the stop.

4. Can a bullet stop overheat?

Yes, a bullet stop can overheat if it is repeatedly used without adequate cooling time in between. The impact of a bullet creates heat, and if the stop is not allowed to cool, it can become damaged or deformed, reducing its effectiveness.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a bullet stop?

Yes, when using a bullet stop, it is important to wear proper protective gear, such as eye and ear protection. It is also important to follow manufacturer's instructions for proper use and maintenance of the bullet stop to ensure safety and longevity.