Bullet striking a metal plate

In summary: Yes.In summary, the bullet and plate come into contact and the bullet is stuck in the plate. The plate rises due to the inertia and the bullet is not moved.
jisbon
Homework Statement
As shown below, a metal plate is pivoted at point P. A 0.04kg bullet is shot into the plate (velocity = 220m/s) and is stuck in the plate. Determine maximum height the COM of the system rises after the collision. The breadth of plate = 40cm, height = 1m
Relevant Equations
-
1569984574483.png

Here are my workings, and I was wondering if I'm correct so far.
Let ##m## be mass of bullet and ##M## be mass of plate.
COM:
##mu_{bullet} = (m+M)v##
##\frac{1}{2}(m+M)v^2=(m+M)gh +\frac{1}{2}I\omega ^2##
where I is the inertia, so using parallel axis theorem,
##I = \frac{1}{12}bh^3 + md^2 = \frac{1}{12}(0.4)1^3 + (5)(0.5-0.2)^2 ##
Is this correct so far?

Physics news on Phys.org
jisbon said:
Homework Statement: As shown below, a metal plate is pivoted at point P. A 0.04kg bullet is shot into the plate (velocity = 220m/s) and is stuck in the plate. Determine maximum height the COM of the system rises after the collision. The breadth of plate = 40cm, height = 1m
Homework Equations: -

View attachment 250533
Here are my workings, and I was wondering if I'm correct so far.
Let ##m## be mass of bullet and ##M## be mass of plate.
COM:
##mu_{bullet} = (m+M)v##
##\frac{1}{2}(m+M)v^2=(m+M)gh +\frac{1}{2}I\omega ^2##
where I is the inertia, so using parallel axis theorem,
##I = \frac{1}{12}bh^3 + md^2 = \frac{1}{12}(0.4)1^3 + (5)(0.5-0.2)^2 ##
Is this correct so far?
Your first equation is wrong because it ignores the (unknown) reaction impulse from the hinge.
Your second is wrong because work will not be conserved. Never assume it is without good reason.
So that makes the laws of conservation of work and linear momentum of no help here. What does that leave?

haruspex said:
Your first equation is wrong because it ignores the (unknown) reaction impulse from the hinge.
Your second is wrong because work will not be conserved. Never assume it is without good reason.
So that makes the laws of conservation of work and linear momentum of no help here. What does that leave?
I'm not exactly sure the first equation (about the reaction impulse)
Regarding the second equation though, should I be using COAM (conservation of angular momentum instead?)

jisbon said:
should I be using COAM (conservation of angular momentum instead?)
Yes. Whenever you do that, you need to consider the best choice of axis. Which would you choose?

haruspex said:
Yes. Whenever you do that, you need to consider the best choice of axis. Which would you choose?
Axis? Not sure what you meant here.
But I crafted an equation, as was wondering if you could check it for me:
COAM:
##L_{initial bullet}+L_{initialplate}=L_{finalbullet}+L_{finalplate}##
##mvr + 0 = (I_{bullet}+I_{plate})\omega##
##(0.04)(220)(0.5) = (m_{plate}(0.5)^2 + \frac{1}{12}bh^3 + md^2)\omega##

jisbon said:
Axis? Not sure what you meant here.
Except in special cases, moment of inertia, angular momentum and torque are always in relation to a chosen axis. When dealing with them you should always state your choice of axis.
From your post above, you seem to have chosen the centre of the plate. The problem with that is that the unknown reaction impulse from the hinge will also have a moment about that axis, and you have left that of your equation.

There are two ways to proceed.
With the axis you have chosen, include the contribution from the hinge reaction (call the impulse from it J, say). Then write the equation for linear momentum, which will also feature J. Then you can combine the equations to eliminate J.
The neater method is to choose your angular momentum axis so that J makes no contribution. Then you do not need a second equation. About what axis would a force from the hinge have no moment?

haruspex said:
Except in special cases, moment of inertia, angular momentum and torque are always in relation to a chosen axis. When dealing with them you should always state your choice of axis.
From your post above, you seem to have chosen the centre of the plate. The problem with that is that the unknown reaction impulse from the hinge will also have a moment about that axis, and you have left that of your equation.

There are two ways to proceed.
With the axis you have chosen, include the contribution from the hinge reaction (call the impulse from it J, say). Then write the equation for linear momentum, which will also feature J. Then you can combine the equations to eliminate J.
The neater method is to choose your angular momentum axis so that J makes no contribution. Then you do not need a second equation. About what axis would a force from the hinge have no moment?
The axis I should have chosen is probably the pivot I will guess?

Likes jbriggs444
jisbon said:
The axis I should have chosen is probably the pivot I will guess?
Yes.

Hi :)
So continuing to solve this question, here's what I have:

$$\begin{aligned}I_{B}W=\left( I_{B}+I_{p}\right) W_{f}\\ mv_{r}=\left( mv^{2}+\dfrac {1}{12}\left( a^{2}+b^{2}\right) \right) W_{f}\end{aligned} $$
Is this correct? If it is, how do I use the final angular velocity to find out the change in height of COM?
$$\left( 0.04\right) \left( 220\right) \left( 0.5\right) =\left( 0.04\left( 0.5\right) ^{2}+\dfrac {1}{12}\left( 1^{2}+0.4^{2}\right) \left( 5\right) \right) W_{f} $$

jisbon said:
$$\begin{aligned}I_{B}W=\left( I_{B}+I_{p}\right) W_{f}\\ mv_{r}=\left( mv^{2}+\dfrac {1}{12}\left( a^{2}+b^{2}\right) \right) W_{f}\end{aligned} $$
I assume ##mv_r## is supposed to be ##mvr##, where r is the vertical distance from the hinge to the path of the bullet. Anyway, that matches what you had in post #5.
But the right hand side has me baffled. Where does mv2 come from, what happened to the mass of the plate, what exactly do a and b represent and what axis are you using to get Ip?

What happens when a bullet strikes a metal plate?

When a bullet strikes a metal plate, it creates a high-velocity impact that results in a transfer of energy. This energy causes the metal plate to deform and potentially break, depending on the strength and thickness of the plate.

How does the metal plate affect the trajectory of the bullet?

The metal plate acts as an obstacle for the bullet, causing it to either ricochet or penetrate through the plate. The angle and speed at which the bullet hits the plate can also affect its trajectory.

What factors influence the damage caused by a bullet striking a metal plate?

The speed, weight, and material of the bullet, as well as the type and thickness of the metal plate, all play a role in determining the amount of damage caused. Other factors such as the angle of impact and the distance between the bullet and the plate can also have an impact.

Can a metal plate stop a bullet from penetrating through it?

It is possible for a metal plate to stop a bullet from penetrating through it, but it depends on the velocity and strength of the bullet, as well as the thickness and type of metal plate. In some cases, the bullet may only be slowed down or partially penetrate the plate.

Does the type of metal used for the plate affect the outcome?

Yes, the type of metal used for the plate can have a significant impact on the outcome. Some metals, such as steel and titanium, are stronger and more resistant to deformation, while others, like aluminum, are softer and more likely to break upon impact.