Calculating Bullet Trajectory Distance at 30° Angle

In summary: Thanks so much for the help! I'm starting to see things now in terms of vectors. Very interesting! :)In summary, the bullet shot at initial velocity of 600m/s at an angle of 30 degrees will travel a distance of 31176.91 meters before landing.
Robert Alan

Homework Statement

A bullet is shot at initial velocity of 600m/s at an angle of 30 degrees. How far will it travel before landing? (Assume no air resistance)
v=600m/s
a=9.8m/s^2
t=?
distance=?

Homework Equations

x=x0+v0t+1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck on this one. I can calculate its distance shot straight up, or from a level surface and I can calculate its time shot straight up or from a level surface. The angle is throwing me off. Does this have something to do with a cosine of 30 degrees?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep :wink: To start, split the motion into horizontal and vertical components.

Okay. The horizontal component at 30 degrees is = 600cos30? And the vertical component is 600sin30? What now?

Robert Alan said:
Okay. The horizontal component at 30 degrees is = 600cos30? And the vertical component is 600sin30? What now?

Use the vertical components to find the total time taken for the motion

[tex]x=x_0 + v_0t - \frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]

Okay. So I get x=300t-0.5t^2 (For this problem we assume g=10m/s^2). At 30 seconds it will attain a height of 4500. I got this by putting y=300t-5t^2 in my calculator and finding the maximum. Now I know how high it goes and how long it is in the air. Now what do I do to find the range of it?

Use the horizontal velocity to find out how far the bullet travels during the time it is in the air.

Robert Alan said:
Okay. So I get x=300t-0.5t^2 (For this problem we assume g=10m/s^2). At 30 seconds it will attain a height of 4500. I got this by putting y=300t-5t^2 in my calculator and finding the maximum. Now I know how high it goes and how long it is in the air. Now what do I do to find the range of it?

When the bullet hits the ground, the displacement is zero, so y=0 and find t.

Oh snap! So I got 30sec at the max time, double it because the rise and fall are symmetrical. That gives 60sec. Then using x=vt or x=600cos30(60) I got 31176.91 meters! Is that right?

that should be correct.

Thanks so much for the help! I'm starting to see things now in terms of vectors. Very interesting! :)

Robert Alan said:

I am pretty bad at physics so I am trying to follow the problem but I get stuck here. I thought that v0=600m/s. How come you wrote 300? Is it because v0 is m/s while gravity is m/s2?

MLeszega said:
I am pretty bad at physics so I am trying to follow the problem but I get stuck here. I thought that v0=600m/s. How come you wrote 300? Is it because v0 is m/s while gravity is m/s2?

Vertically for x=x0 +v0t-(1/2)gt2

v0 is the vertical component of the initial velocity.

rock.freak667 said:
Vertically for x=x0 +v0t-(1/2)gt2

v0 is the vertical component of the initial velocity.

So v0 = 600sin(30) for the vertical component and 600cos(30) for the horizontal component?

MLeszega said:
So v0 = 600sin(30) for the vertical component and 600cos(30) for the horizontal component?

yes.

rock.freak667 said:
yes.

Ahh, ty very much!

1. How do you calculate bullet trajectory distance at a 30° angle?

The distance of a bullet's trajectory at a 30° angle can be calculated using the following formula:
Distance = (Initial Velocity^2 x sin(2xAngle)) / Gravity

2. What is the initial velocity in the bullet trajectory distance calculation?

The initial velocity in the calculation is the speed at which the bullet is fired from the gun.

3. How does the angle affect the bullet trajectory distance?

The angle at which the bullet is fired has a significant impact on its trajectory distance. A lower angle will result in a shorter distance travelled, while a higher angle will result in a longer distance travelled.

4. What is the value of gravity used in the bullet trajectory distance calculation?

The value of gravity used in the calculation is typically 9.8 m/s^2, which is the standard acceleration due to gravity on Earth.

5. Can the bullet trajectory distance be affected by external factors?

Yes, the bullet trajectory distance can be affected by external factors such as wind resistance, air density, and air temperature. These factors can alter the bullet's trajectory and therefore affect the distance it travels at a 30° angle.