1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bullets Bouncing off Superman

1. Feb 20, 2006 #1
    I cant figure this one out. Please help.

It is well known that bullets fired at Superman simply bounce off his chest. Suppose that a gangster sprays Superman's chest with bullets of mass m = 1.8 g at a rate of R = 200 bullets/min. The speed of each bullet is v = 460 m/s. Suppose the bullets rebound with no change in speed. What is the average force exerted by the stream of bullets on Superman's chest?

THANK YOU!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2006 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use Newton's 2nd and 3rd laws. Force equals the rate of change of momentum.

4. Feb 20, 2006 #3
    Well I have tried using Impulse (change in p = F * time) and I am not getting it right. The change in momentum is 1.656, right? And then you should be able to just plug in...using 60 sec for time, right?

5. Feb 20, 2006 #4

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Correct, 1.7 kgm/s is the change in momentum of one bullet. Now just calculate how many bullets hit per second for the total change in momentum per second.

6. Feb 20, 2006 #5
    I got it! Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?