Greg's "Bump" Message: Unanswered Threads Responded to

• Thread starter DrClaude
  • Start date
In summary: I've got a good compromise..How about below the automated message you put in a statement (in a smaller font and italicized and in quotes) that reads, "I'm Greg Bernhardt and I approve this auto-post"Can you link me to some threads where there is some confusion? Thanks!
DrClaude
Mentor
Some unanswered threads get a bump from Greg with the message
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?
I suggest that a note be added to the message saying that it was generated automatically, as it seems to cause confusion among some OPs.

Last edited:
Likes DataGG and Enigman
Physics news on Phys.org
agreed

Can you link me to some threads where there is some confusion? Thanks!

Greg, even without confusion I suggest a change in the wording that maintains your content but makes it clear that the message is auto-generated. Something like.

The forum software has noticed that you have not received any answers yet. Perhaps you can provided additional information to clarity you question.

Personally, I just think it looks a bit cheesy to have an automated message that gives the appearance that you are giving personal attention to the post.

Likes DataGG and Greg Bernhardt
phinds said:
Personally, I just think it looks a bit cheesy to have an automated message that gives the appearance that you are giving personal attention to the post.

Perhaps, but the goal is to get the best chance the OP will return and revise/add-to their message. If a faux personal message works then that is best. I have gotten a lot of positive responses, but I understand your point and am open to revising the message.

Likes gracy
Greg Bernhardt said:
Perhaps, but the goal is to get the best chance the OP will return and revise/add-to their message.
Well, it's your call and you might be right that a fake personalized message is more likely to accomplish that.

phinds said:
Well, it's your call and you might be right that a fake personalized message is more likely to accomplish that.
Ultimately I don't want any automated message. I wish that all threads receive some response.

Likes gracy and RonL
Greg Bernhardt said:
Ultimately I don't want any automated message. I wish that all threads receive some response.
Yep, I agree w/ that.

Likes RonL and Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
The way you have the point system set up, makes me feel more invited to be someone extending that first contact, just hope I can project the feeling of sincerity in everyone I answer.:)

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I've got a good compromise..How about below the automated message you put in a statement (in a smaller font and italicized and in quotes) that reads, "I'm Greg Bernhardt and I approve this auto-post"

Likes phinds, dlgoff, Greg Bernhardt and 1 other person
Greg Bernhardt said:
Can you link me to some threads where there is some confusion? Thanks!
I took me time to find one, but here is an example:
MickaelPC said:
Hi Greg,

My question didn't got answers by the time but now it's not very important, it was just a small question I asked myself whil learning quantum mechanics.
From the "Hi Greg," it seems that he thinks it is a personal message from you.

I didn't even know it was automated!

What is "Greg's "Bump" Message: Unanswered Threads Responded to"?

"Greg's "Bump" Message: Unanswered Threads Responded to" is a message or notification feature used on online forums or discussion boards. It allows users to bump or bring attention to older, unanswered threads by adding a new reply or comment, thus increasing the thread's visibility and chances of receiving a response.

How does "Greg's "Bump" Message: Unanswered Threads Responded to" work?

This feature works by allowing users to add a new reply or comment to an older, unanswered thread. This action will automatically bump the thread to the top of the forum or discussion board, making it more visible to other users and increasing its chances of receiving a response.

Why is "Greg's "Bump" Message: Unanswered Threads Responded to" useful?

This feature is useful because it helps to keep forums and discussion boards active and engaging. It allows older, unanswered threads to receive attention and potentially be resolved, rather than being buried and forgotten.

Are there any limitations to using "Greg's "Bump" Message: Unanswered Threads Responded to"?

Yes, there may be limitations to using this feature. For example, some forums may have a limit on the number of times a thread can be bumped, or there may be restrictions on when and how often a user can bump a thread. Additionally, this feature may not be available on all forums or discussion boards.

What are some alternatives to "Greg's "Bump" Message: Unanswered Threads Responded to"?

Some alternatives to this feature include pinning or highlighting important or popular threads, creating a separate section for unanswered threads, or using a tagging system to categorize and sort threads. Each forum or discussion board may have their own unique features for bringing attention to important or unanswered threads.