Bumper sticker: What message is this sending?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary: Religion, politics, social commentary, etc. It's up to them. Not me.I voted "none of the above", I think it's cute.I like the pastafarianism fish. Its the tastiest.I think the owner is mocking fish - which is a bad move for a diver, they outnumber you and they are on home ground!Yup, religious scuba diver. That's where my money would be.

Is the owner a Christian? or mocking it?

• The owner is religious.

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • The owner is mocking religion.

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • None of the above.

Votes: 19 52.8%

• Total voters
DaveC426913 said:
I sort of figure anyone who puts a variation of the Jesus fish on their car is more or less mocking it.

Oh, you WANTED to mock, you irreverent pagan. Well maybe if the fish stuck a finger out...

Physics news on Phys.org
out of whack said:
Oh, you WANTED to mock, you irreverent pagan. Well maybe if the fish stuck a finger out...

So what have you got against irreverent pagans?

Integral said:
So what have you got against irreverent pagans?

It was an endorsement. :approve:

DaveC426913 said:
I sort of figure anyone who puts a variation of the Jesus fish on their car is more or less mocking it.

That is what I have always thought too.

I didn't realize there was a fish war until this thread. Obviously hasn't caught on in Europe yet.

Entrepreneurs take note. :wink:

DaveC426913 said:

I used to think that, but I've had enough people ask me why people have fish on their cars to believe there are a lot of people just following what they think is a fad of funny fish without realizing there's any deeper meaning.

Moonbear said:
I used to think that, but I've had enough people ask me why people have fish on their cars to believe there are a lot of people just following what they think is a fad of funny fish without realizing there's any deeper meaning.
I find that hard to believe. Perhaps I overestimate my fellow man.

DaveC426913 said:
I find that hard to believe. Perhaps I overestimate my fellow man.

I think it depends on where you live and what age you are. People my age and older mostly know what the fish means. Likewise, if you live in an area where there are a lot of very devout Christians (i.e., the deep south), people generally know what they mean. In a university town, there are so many more of the "joke" fish than religious fish, and enough immigrants from places where Christianity isn't such a big deal, plus enough younger people who aren't very savvy about religious symbolism, that they really don't realize there's something more to it than a whole series of funny fish.

Kurdt said:
Rarrrghhh!

http://www.churchhopping.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/fsm.jpg [Broken]

:rofl: I like that one. A little more obvious.

Finite State Machine ... ooh I just had exam on that stuff and a lot more

I don't get the fish. I thought it was a circle until someone said fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that it was more humor, more than endorsing or mocking Christianity. No one has yet noticed the biggest part of the humor:

ΙΧΘΥΣ is the ancient Greek word, for fish, but it is also the acronym for (transliterated) "Iesus Christos Theos Umon Soter" which means "Jesus Christ God our Savior." This is why the original symbol for Christianity was the fish. The cross didn't come in until later.

Similarly SCUBA is the acronym for "Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus." The image is of a person acting like a fish with a tank on its back. I think overall its just a well-evolved pun.

So was that.

<h2>1. What is the purpose of a bumper sticker?</h2><p>A bumper sticker is a small, adhesive label that is attached to the bumper of a vehicle. Its purpose is to convey a message or promote a particular idea or belief.</p><h2>2. How do people choose what message to put on their bumper sticker?</h2><p>People choose the message for their bumper sticker based on their personal beliefs, values, and opinions. Some may choose a message that aligns with their political views, while others may choose a humorous or lighthearted message.</p><h2>3. Are there any rules or regulations for bumper stickers?</h2><p>There are no specific rules or regulations for bumper stickers, but they must adhere to general laws and regulations regarding obscenity, slander, and copyright. Additionally, some states have restrictions on the size and placement of bumper stickers on vehicles.</p><h2>4. Can bumper stickers be effective in spreading a message?</h2><p>Bumper stickers can be effective in spreading a message as they are often seen by a large number of people on the road. However, the effectiveness of the message depends on the content of the sticker and the receptiveness of the audience.</p><h2>5. Do bumper stickers have any negative impacts?</h2><p>Bumper stickers may have negative impacts if they contain offensive or divisive messages that can lead to conflicts or accidents on the road. Additionally, over time, the adhesive on the sticker can damage the paint on the vehicle's bumper.</p>

1. What is the purpose of a bumper sticker?

A bumper sticker is a small, adhesive label that is attached to the bumper of a vehicle. Its purpose is to convey a message or promote a particular idea or belief.

2. How do people choose what message to put on their bumper sticker?

People choose the message for their bumper sticker based on their personal beliefs, values, and opinions. Some may choose a message that aligns with their political views, while others may choose a humorous or lighthearted message.

3. Are there any rules or regulations for bumper stickers?

There are no specific rules or regulations for bumper stickers, but they must adhere to general laws and regulations regarding obscenity, slander, and copyright. Additionally, some states have restrictions on the size and placement of bumper stickers on vehicles.

4. Can bumper stickers be effective in spreading a message?

Bumper stickers can be effective in spreading a message as they are often seen by a large number of people on the road. However, the effectiveness of the message depends on the content of the sticker and the receptiveness of the audience.

5. Do bumper stickers have any negative impacts?

Bumper stickers may have negative impacts if they contain offensive or divisive messages that can lead to conflicts or accidents on the road. Additionally, over time, the adhesive on the sticker can damage the paint on the vehicle's bumper.