Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bumps in the night

1. Nov 3, 2006 #1

wolram

Gold Member

How can i set up an electronic camera and sound system to record the noises that frequent my cott, in such a way that trickery can be ruled out?
    I know that web cams work fine, but who would want to listen/watch hour on hour on the chance of catching sight/sound of some thing, can the video/ sound be recorded and replayed? i am not going to pay a fortune for electronics but will fork out a reasonable amount.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2006 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

There is video surveilance software that records from a webcam when sound/motion is detected.

4. Nov 3, 2006 #3

Evo

What's happening?

5. Nov 3, 2006 #4
    Over here there is a thing called a "Nanny Cam". This is a childs toy with a camera and microphone hidden in it. It is made to spy on the people you hire to take care of your kids to make sure they're not abusing or neglecting them. I believe they record onto a conventional VCR. I don't believe they cost a fortune. I'm pretty sure they'll fool a ghost, too.

6. Nov 3, 2006 #5

wolram

Gold Member

All manner of knocks and sounds, some akin to dropping a solid object onto
    a hard wood floor, one is a rhythmic tapping or clicking, like when some thing hot is cooling down, Kia and her Bf have heard some of them, and she thinks i am brave not to be scared :smile:
    I will have a look for a (nanny cam) i can hook it up to my desk top and leave it running 24/7.

7. Nov 3, 2006 #6

wolram

Gold Member

Thanks Russ.

8. Nov 3, 2006 #7

Evo

Ooooh, the cott is haunted!!!! Or maybe you have a mountain lion.

9. Nov 3, 2006 #8
    oooo scary. haha...My entire family is convinced that our house is haunted because of all the random noises. I think they are simply noises from the house settling. Even is it really is haunted, no reason to be afraid haha

10. Nov 3, 2006 #9

wolram

Gold Member

whatever, :smile: , I still need more info on a way to record audio/visual
    via my desk top, i have had a look around the net, may be i will ask Kia
    she is more into computers.

Evo, errrm, we do not have mountain lions in the uk, and i have two skined kneese to show how these noises can distract some one, even
    knowing that there is nothing sinister about them :smile:

11. Nov 3, 2006 #10
    Well the software that came with my camera allows me to do that, even set up to where it only records when there is movement. It is logitech image studio.

12. Nov 3, 2006 #11

wolram

Gold Member

Thanks Matthew, i will have a look .

13. Nov 3, 2006 #12
    Too much of "A Haunting" on the Discovery Chanel? Just kidding. I'd go with the camera ideas, I know at the BJ's near me they have a night vision securtiy kit but its around $130. Id try the camera ideas because thats free (assuming you have a camera).

14. Nov 3, 2006 #13

wolram

Gold Member

15. Nov 3, 2006 #14

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Um, what is a cott? A cot? Like a bed? A cottage? Like a house?

Anyway, I have a suggestion, before you spend too much money. Rule out animals.

Try a couple of motion sensitive lights. Much cheaper. If it's animals, the lights should keep them away. If you have the lights and the noises stop, you're good.

16. Nov 3, 2006 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My vote is either animals or normal creaks when the temperatures change. That, and look around outside to make sure no tree branches or loose gutters are the culprits banging on the side of the house.

17. Nov 3, 2006 #16

wolram

Gold Member

It is a cottage Dave, i have a motion light out side, it is the only way i can see any thing as there are no street lights, i have tried tuning the electricity off and the water, on alternate nights which made no difference.

18. Nov 3, 2006 #17

Evo

The cott is haunted!!! It makes sense when you think of all the bizarre occurences there. We should get Ghost Hunters to do an episode on your cott.

19. Nov 3, 2006 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ooh, now that would be fun. I'd love to live in a haunted house...at least you always have companions to do stuff with. :biggrin:

20. Nov 3, 2006 #19

wolram

Gold Member

It is not so great, the other day a noise startled me ,and i missed the top step of the stairs and went down on my knees, other times i can be ready for sleep but a noise will have me alert for 15, 20 mins, it is not scary, just
    annoying, the worst part is i can see nothing that would make the noises.

Any way, ghost hunters are welcome, i could stay with mom and dad for a week and let them have free range of the cott.

21. Nov 3, 2006 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That loud?! Any place a racoon could be getting in? Or bats? Something nocturnal it sounds like.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?