1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bungee Cord Lab

1. Apr 12, 2004 #1
    Hi, I am taking a physics class with one instructor and the physics lab with another instructor--it wasn't supposed to be that way, and my lab teacher is always giving me a hard time because of it ( I think he hates me.).

Anyway, I need some help with a take-home lab assignment that my lab instructor gave to me. In class, one end of a bungee cord was tied to the railing of the third floor and the other end was tied to a stuffed bear (.176 kg). The bear was dropped from the third floor so that it just barely touched the bottom of the first floor (10.0m). The length of the un-stretched cord was 4.00m, and the length of the stretched cord was 6.00m. I have to determine the maximum velocity and the spring constant. I'm not exactly sure which one I have to calculate first--I think I need the spring constant before I can calculate the maximum velocity (Am I right about that?). To determine the spring constant (k), can I divide the weight of the bear by the displacement of the cord from its un-stretched length?

k=W/x
    =.176 kg (9.80 m/s^2)/(6.00m-4.00m)
    =.862 N/m

Is that right? Thanks for your help.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted