Bungee jump from a bridge, how to find h

In summary, a new member of the group is seeking help with a homework problem involving a bungee jumping scenario. They are trying to solve for the spring constant, k, and the maximum speed of the jumper. They correctly equate the gravitational and spring forces to solve for k, but struggle with finding the final height h. With the help of other members, they are able to correctly solve for both k and h.
jperez94
Hi guys, I'm new :smile:

Now, I came here in search of help to a homework problem I have. I've tried to solve for around 40 minutes now, and can't get past solving for k. Here's the problem.

The Royal Gorge bridge over the Arkansad River is about L=310m high. A bungee jumper of mass 60kg has an elastic cord of length d=50m attached to her feet. Assume that the cord acts like a spring of force constant k. The jumper leaps, barely touches the water, and after numberous ups and downs comes to rest at a height h above the water. (a) find h. (b) find the maximum speed of the jumper

The way I'm trying to solve is is by setting up two parts. One, I just solve for K in general, so I let h equal to when the jumper touches the water, and let that be h=0. With that said, I yield U(gravity)=U(spring) (using consev. of energy, kinetic energy before the jump is =0, she has no spring potential at the top, and at the bottom she has no height, so U(gravity)=0, no kinetic as well). So that being said, I get k to equal to 121.52NM. The second part, I let my starting height equal to 260 (310 original eight minux the 50 of the bungee cord lenght), and solve for my new H, but I get an insanly big number. Am I missing something? Or am I way off in trying to solve for it? Any help is greatly appriciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first part, your approach is correct. You should equate:

[tex] mgL = \frac{k(L-d)^2}{2} [/tex]

and solve for k. I think you should double check your arithmetic.

With the spring constant in hand, the final height h is easily found by setting the gravitational force equal to the spring force:
mg = k(L - h - d)

For the second part, the first thing we'll do is state that we're going to ignore whatever frictional effects there are to calculate the max. vel. (we know they're there, that's why it stops, but that's not important now). The maximum velocity will occur on the initial trip down at the point where the acceleration is zero (at height h. This is because the final resting place is also the equilibrium position of the system; the point about which the system oscillates). To solve the velocity as it passes this point, use the conservation of energy (again, assuming none has been dissipated yet):

[tex] \frac{mv^2}{2} + mgh + \frac{k(L-h-d)^2}{2} = mgL [/tex]

Thanks jamesrc, got it now. My problem was setting up that H, but all is well. Thanks again :)

1. How high should the bridge be for a safe bungee jump?

The ideal height for a bungee jump from a bridge is between 100-200 feet. This allows for enough freefall time without being too dangerous.

2. How do you calculate the length of the bungee cord needed?

The general rule of thumb is to use a bungee cord that is 4-5 times the height of the jump. So for a 100-foot jump, a 400-500 foot bungee cord would be appropriate.

3. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken before attempting a bungee jump from a bridge?

Yes, it is important to make sure the bridge is structurally sound and can support the weight and force of the bungee jump. It's also important to use high-quality equipment and have a trained professional oversee the jump.

4. Is there a specific weight limit for bungee jumping from a bridge?

Yes, most bungee jumping companies have a weight limit of around 250-300 pounds for bridge jumps. This is to ensure the safety of the jumper and the equipment.

5. How do you find a reputable bungee jumping company for a bridge jump?

It is important to do research and read reviews of bungee jumping companies in the area. Look for companies that have a good safety record and experienced staff. It is also recommended to ask for proof of insurance and certifications before booking a jump.