1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bungee jump problem

1. Jul 13, 2006 #1
    a bungee jumper stnd on a bridge of 100m above the floor of a valley.
    She is attached to a bungee rope of length 25m and has a mass of 60kg. and i have taken g to be 10

Theres no: air resistance
    damping in the bungee rope
    and the weight of the bungee rope is negliable

i need to find the minimum required value for the spring constant k if she is to avoid hiting the valley floor

im using 1/2kx^2=mgh...but im getting confused in what im doing i dont know where to go next..i was wondering if i am doing it right n what i should do next ?....thankz
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your on the right track, but what happens when the binjee jumper falls the first 25m? Will the rope be storing potential energy then? What is the maximum extension the rope can undergoe without the jumper hitting the floor?
  4. Jul 13, 2006 #3

sorry im really confused?
  5. Jul 13, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Remember that for the first 25 meters of falling, the rope is SLACK and there is no tension in it.
  6. Jul 13, 2006 #5
    my calculation

this is what i did

mgh= 0.5*k*(h-l)^2

k= 21.3

this is what i did and got k as ...have i done it right because im so confused
  7. Jul 13, 2006 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Okay, for clarity I'll take this step by step:
    Consider the moment when the jumper has fallen [itex]h=25[/itex] meters.
    Then, obviously, the kinetic energy gain equals the loss of potential energy:

We now look at conservation of mechanical energy during the phase where the rope stretches, and where L is the maximal length the rope stretches:
    which can be rewritten as
    with h=25, L=75, you get your own equation, so yes, you did the problem right!:smile:
  8. Jul 13, 2006 #7

Thankz .
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?