Minimum Height Needed for Bungee Jump Problem

In summary, the man needs to be at least 8.42 meters tall to jump off the bridge with a bungee chord.
harihrn
this problem involves a man jumping off a bridge with a bungee chord holding him. he weighs 102 kg and the stretch constant of the chord is 167n/m. And there is a 12N air resistance. the length of the rope when slack is 20 ft what is the minimum height needed for him to do this?

my attempt: i had three total attempts which gave me three different answers
attempt 1:
i divided the problem into three parts, the initial fall till the rope starts to stretch, then the stretch
the Ke value that i came up with was mgH, and the sum of the energies is KE-W, which was mg(6.09) -12(6.09). 6.09 m is the length of the chord when it is slack (20ft). the sum of the energies came up to be 6014.484 joules. I then set that equal to 1/2kx^2 12x, which became a quadratic equation: 83.5x^2+12x-6014.484, x being the amount it should stretch, which came up to be about 8.42 meters. The minimum height that i found was 14.51 meters
attempt 2:
I set mg(height of the bridge)= 0.5kx=(height-the length of chord/rope)^2 which gave me 22.3 m
attempt 3:
i watched a simulation which showed that when the chord is fully stretched, the kinetic energy during the fall converts to elastic potential and gravitational potential. so, i set the KE = mgx+0.5kx^2, x being the distance it is stretched, and i got 4.4 as the answer for the stretch, and the total height came out to be 10.49m.
I do not know which one to use or whether I'm completely wrong. thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The first and second methods are almost correct.

In your first solution you neglected the energy gained from falling (Grav.PE) after the rope begins to stretch.

In your second method you neglected the air resistance.

P.S. The height in meters is 6.096 which rounds to 6.10 not 6.09

thank you very much! but as per what you said, if i account for the energy gained from falling after the rope begins to stretch, i get the same answer i get for my 3rd attempt, which is 4.4 m stretch.
SUM of Energies during fall = 83.5x^2+12x+mgx (x being the amount stretched)
if u mean that i should subtract grav.pe , that is:
SUM of Energies during fall = 83.5x^2+12x-mgx
I get the TOTAl height to be equivalent to the one i got in the 2nd attempt (the stretch being 16.25, and the length of the rope being 6.09; rounding errors caused my second attempt to be about 22.3m). Which one should I exactly use?

but as per what you said before, when falling, the KE+grav.pe should be equal to the elastic potential energy, the method should be
SUM of Energies during fall = 83.5x^2+12x+mgx (x being the amount stretched)
or
SUM of Energies during fall -mgx= 83.5x^2+12x(x being the amount stretched) .
they both are equivalents, but is that approach right?

I would summarize the solution like this:

[itex](mg-F_{drag})(L+x)=\frac{1}{2}kx^2[/itex]

Where:
[itex]L[/itex] is the length of the rope when slack, (6.096 meters)
[itex]x[/itex] is the amount that the rope gets stretched, (unknown)
[itex]F_{drag}[/itex] is the force of air resistance, (a constant 12 Newtons)
[itex]k[/itex] is the "stretch constant" of the rope, (167 Newtons per meter)

As you can see, if you set [itex]F_{drag}=0[/itex] then this is equivalent to your second approach.

I think the reason you think the answer is the same as your second method is simply because your second answer is so close to being correct. (This is because air resistance only has a small effect.)
I calculated that if you use [itex]F_{drag}=0[/itex] instead of [itex]F_{drag}=12[/itex] then the error is only about 0.1 meters (10cm).P.S. It should be noted that my equation I wrote for the solution only applies to when the [itex]F_{drag}[/itex] is constant.

thank you so much!

What is the "Minimum Height Needed for Bungee Jump Problem"?

The Minimum Height Needed for Bungee Jump Problem is a scientific inquiry that seeks to determine the minimum height at which a bungee jump can be safely executed without causing injury or death to the person jumping.

Why is this a scientific problem?

This is a scientific problem because it involves the use of empirical data and mathematical calculations to determine a safe height for bungee jumping. It also requires an understanding of the physical laws and principles involved in bungee jumping, such as gravity, elasticity, and energy conservation.

What factors are considered in determining the minimum height for bungee jumping?

The factors that are considered include the length and elasticity of the bungee cord, the weight and height of the person jumping, and the location and environment of the bungee jump site. Other factors may also be taken into account, such as wind conditions and potential obstacles.

How is the minimum height calculated?

The minimum height is calculated using a combination of mathematical equations and real-world testing. The basic equation for calculating the minimum height is H = 2L + 1.5m, where H is the minimum height, L is the length of the bungee cord, and m is the safety margin. This equation can be modified to account for various factors and variables.

Who uses the minimum height calculation for bungee jumping?

The minimum height calculation is used by bungee jumping companies and safety regulators to ensure the safety of their customers and to comply with legal regulations. It is also used by individuals who are interested in bungee jumping to determine if they meet the height requirements for a particular jump.