Bungee jumping problem

• Thread starter lily55934
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A daredevil plans to bungee jump from a balloon 65.0m above the ground. He will use a uniform elastic cord, tied to a harness around his body, to stop his fall at point 10.0m above the ground. Model his body as a particle and the cord as having negligible mass and obeying Hooke❝s law. In a preliminary test he finds that when hanging at rest from a 5.00-m length of the cord, his body weight stretches it by 1.50 m. he will drop from rest at point where the top end of a longer section of the cord is attached to the stationary balloon. (a)What length of cord should he use? (b) What maximum acceleration will he experience?

Homework Equations

Potential energy = mgh
Spring potential energy = kx^2/2
Spring force = kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using conservation of energy to find the spring constant k. I said the stretched length of the short cord was h1 and the distance it stretched was x1:

mgh1 = kx1^2/ 2 => k = (2mgh1) / x1^2

I did the same with the longer cord:

mgh2 = kx2^2 / 2 => x2^2 = 2mg(h2) / k

Then I replaced k with what I found:

x2^2 = 2mg(h2) / (2mg(h1)/x1^2) => x2^2 = 2mg(h2) x1^2 / 2mg(h1) = (h2) x1^2 / h1

Is what I did right or not at all? I'm very confused about this problem, thanks for your help!

Answers and Replies

Student100
Education Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A daredevil plans to bungee jump from a balloon 65.0m above the ground. He will use a uniform elastic cord, tied to a harness around his body, to stop his fall at point 10.0m above the ground. Model his body as a particle and the cord as having negligible mass and obeying Hooke❝s law. In a preliminary test he finds that when hanging at rest from a 5.00-m length of the cord, his body weight stretches it by 1.50 m. he will drop from rest at point where the top end of a longer section of the cord is attached to the stationary balloon. (a)What length of cord should he use? (b) What maximum acceleration will he experience?

Homework Equations

Potential energy = mgh
Spring potential energy = kx^2/2
Spring force = kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using conservation of energy to find the spring constant k. I said the stretched length of the short cord was h1 and the distance it stretched was x1:

mgh2 = kx2^2 / 2 => x2^2 = 2mg(h2) / k

Then I replaced k with what I found:

x2^2 = 2mg(h2) / (2mg(h1)/x1^2) => x2^2 = 2mg(h2) x1^2 / 2mg(h1) = (h2) x1^2 / h1

Is what I did right or not at all? I'm very confused about this problem, thanks for your help!
For the 5 meter cord what is the force given by the problem?

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award

The information regarding the 5m cord does not involve any transformation of energy. The mass does not fall distance h1, or any distance. This is just hanging at equilibrium.
Be careful here. A spring constant is a property of a specific spring, not of the material of which it is made. A spring of twice the length has a different constant.

Hello, thanks a lot for your help :-)
So if I understand well when the jumper is hanging at equilibrium I should use Newton to find k? Sum of forces = kx-mg => k= mg/x
But I'm still lost about the other part of the problem, because now there are 2 things I don't know (the spring constant for the longer cord and its length, I only know the stretched length). How can I find the spring constant for a rope twice the length for example? Is is k/2? How can I find the ratio between the 2 cords when the lengths I know are completely different (one is at equilibrium (5+1.5m) and the other not (55m))? Please help, it's been several weeks, and I still don't understand anything :(

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
How can I find the spring constant for a rope twice the length for example? Is is k/2?
Suppose two identical ropes of spring constant k are tied end to end. A tension T is applied to them. How far does each stretch?

Do they each stretch a distance x? So the double spring stretches 2x, and F=2kx, and the k of the 2 ropes is half the k of one shorter rope?

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Do they each stretch a distance x? So the double spring stretches 2x, and F=2kx, and the k of the 2 ropes is half the k of one shorter rope?
Yes.