Oil and Water: Investigating Buoyancy and Non-Mixable Liquids

• Thread starter W24JBLV
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oil Water
In summary, the professor gave us a question asking what percentage of a block is submerged in oil. Assuming the block is homogeneous and density greater than either fluid, the object would sink.
W24JBLV
I have 2 liquids, Oil and water together in the beaker.

Assuming both liquids are non mixable

I push a block into the water and it floats at halfway between the Oil and the water

See the attachment and please help me I'm stuck and
passing the class depend on this particular problem ...

Attachments

• problem.JPG
    problem.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 327
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you about Archimedes principle ? A body floats at the level where the weight of the submerged part equals the weight of the displaced liquid.

I think you got your specific gravities the wrong way round.

Mentz114 said:
Do you about Archimedes principle ? A body floats at the level where the weight of the submerged part equals the weight of the displaced liquid.

I think you got your specific gravities the wrong way round.

Yes I'm talking about Archimedes principle..

The Professor gave us this question as it is.. ireally tried to resolve it without
any success. any suggestions??

Mentz pointed out one problem. Another, even if reversed, Water has an sg=1.0, not .3 or .8

Finally as posed and assuming that the block is homogeneous and density greater than either fluid, the object would sink. I'd put this one away until you get clarification.

denverdoc said:
Mentz pointed out one problem. Another, even if reversed, Water has an sg=1.0, not .3 or .8

Finally as posed and assuming that the block is homogeneous and density greater than either fluid, the object would sink. I'd put this one away until you get clarification.

I'm sorry it is not water the question was two liquids.
Any liquids. assuming they are 0.3 0.8 i used water and
oil just to clear out which one is on the top and which
one is on the bottom.
So ignore the names.
The question didn't say anything about the object's density
the question only wants to know the % of the part that is
in the oil..

My reading of the question is that the block has sg = 0.93. So it would sink in the more dense liquid if it wasn't partly supported by the upper liquid.

Assume the block sinks to a depth x, and has top area A. You get an equation in x because A will cancel out.

maybe this is a deep problem after all, but the diagram shows a density greater than either fluid, but adds to it "in water part". If the density is greater than either fluid it will sink as in completely. Now if the density were somewhere between the two, ok, it should sit in between. But what's most confusing is you state that the object is 1/2 in 1/2 out, but the diagram asks for what percentage is in the oil? I personally (and this is without any mean spirited intention), is that you probably should repeat the course. Our bailing you out at the last minute is not apt to be of value to anyone.

Can Any One Help me with this Question?

by the looks of that picture ( 50%) heh

Help anyone
HELP
SOS

help
help help
help

sorry, I wish I could help, but never took fluids yet. I agree with zenparticle though:shy:

1. What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object immersed in it. It is a result of the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object, with the pressure being greater at the bottom due to the weight of the fluid above it.

2. How does oil affect the buoyancy of water?

Oil has a lower density than water, so when oil is added to water, it displaces a volume of water equal to its own volume. This results in a decrease in the overall density of the mixture, causing objects to float more easily.

3. Can the buoyancy of oil and water be affected by temperature?

Yes, temperature can affect the buoyancy of oil and water. As the temperature of water increases, its density decreases, causing it to become less buoyant. This can also affect the buoyancy of oil, as changes in temperature can cause it to expand or contract, altering its density and therefore its buoyancy.

4. How does the shape and size of an object affect its buoyancy in oil and water?

The shape and size of an object can affect its buoyancy in oil and water. A larger object will experience a greater buoyant force due to its greater volume, while a more streamlined shape will experience less resistance and therefore float more easily. Additionally, objects that are more dense than water will sink, while objects that are less dense will float.

5. How is the buoyancy of oil and water used in industry and research?

The buoyancy of oil and water is used in a variety of industries and research fields. In the oil and gas industry, buoyancy is used to lift and transport oil from underwater wells to the surface. In environmental research, the buoyancy of oil and water is studied to understand the impact of oil spills on marine life. It is also used in the design of ships and other watercraft to ensure they are able to float and stay afloat. Additionally, the buoyancy of oil and water is used in experiments and demonstrations to illustrate principles of fluid dynamics and density.