1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Buoyancy and Height

1. Dec 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A helium filled balloon is tied to a 2.00-m-long, 0.050 0-kg uniform string. The balloon is spherical with a radius of 0.400 m. When released, it lifts a length h of string and then remains in equilibrium as shown in figure P14.51. Determine the value of h. The envelope of the balloon has a mass of 0.250 kg.

2. Relevant equations

Code (Text):

ρ=  m⁄v

v=  4/3 pi r^3

B=ρ[SUB]air[/SUB] * g * V[SUB]obj[/SUB]

3. The attempt at a solution

Code (Text):

B=(1.29 kg⁄m^3 )(9.8 m⁄s^2 )(.26808 m^3)

B=3.39 N   

m_he=.047986

F_g=Mg

F_g=(.347986 kg)(9.8 m⁄s^2 )

F_g=3.41 N

This is something the prof. said to start with, I'm not sure how this helps aside from proving it has pretty much reached equillibrium. I really just don't know what formula that involves height will work.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think height in terms of weight of string not altitude

4. Dec 1, 2009 #3
    Ok so here is the thought process I am having. Find the change in force, use F=ma to find how much mass is lifted (string). Use that to determine how much in h is lifted.

(
    Code (Text):
    mass total / height total = mass lifted / height lifted)
    So do I use the small difference in force between my normal force and the buoyent force? .02N I know it doesn't move a significant amount.

5. Dec 2, 2009 #4
    I haven't received a response but from what I can tell that is right. I did get the same answer as the prof, now I just have to find out if it was luck or if the process was correct. Thanks for the help!

6. Dec 2, 2009 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

At equilibrium bouyancy = weight = mass of length of string h + mass of envelope.

ps. remember the people here are in different time zones

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook