Why doesn't the buoyant wheel and belt perpetual motion machine work?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a perpetual motion machine and its flaws. The picture under the words "buoyant wheels and belts" is used as an example to illustrate the concept. The conversation explores different explanations for why the machine does not work, including the conservation of energy and irreversibilities. The conversation also touches on the patenting of such machines and how they have been treated over time.
myanmar
perhaps you can help me.
on http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/museum/themes/buoyant.htm fundamentally, what is the reason that the picture under the words "buoyant wheels and belts" doesn't work? (Except remove the movement of water between two buckets. replace that with compressing and expanding air)

Physics news on Phys.org
The last paragraph on that page wasn't clear? What was confusing about it?

That almost sounds like saying
"It won't work because of the conservation of energy".
which I understand.

I just don't see where the flaw is that makes it stop working.

But conservation of energy is the flaw that makes it stop working.

While this is certainly true, we should be able to prove this without relying on the conservation of energy.

That is, there is somewhere in the system where energy is lost or something I have ignored.

myanmar said:
While this is certainly true, we should be able to prove this without relying on the conservation of energy.

That is, there is somewhere in the system where energy is lost or something I have ignored.
Can you prove you were driving under the speed limit without citing the speed limit?

Conservation of energy isn't just a law that we go back and check to see if it was violated after doing a problem, it is a tool used to do problems. When doing a problem like this, you write a conservation of energy statement: Eout - Ein = 0 ...and see if it works.

Last edited:
The point is that you don't need to lose energy. You show that when you move the machine from one position to the next and you recover the same configuration. The energy must be the same (ignoring dispersive forces), so you can't extract energy out. When you include dispersive forces - any ones, anywhere - it can only act to slow things down.

That said, it can be interesting to analyze in detail how such a machine actually behaves, and where exactly it doesn't behave as its inventor claims. Analysing PMM *can* be fun. I think that was what the OP was asking for.

There is nothing magical about buoyancy, it is fundamentally no different than rolling a rock down hill. Both cconvert gravitational potential energy into work. When you go to roll the rock back up the hill it takes at least as much energy as you got out. In buoyancy the "rock" is the fluid. Rolling it downhill can give you work (like a water wheel) but as soon as you try to roll it back uphill you lose all of the energy and more.

vanesch said:
That said, it can be interesting to analyze in detail how such a machine actually behaves, and where exactly it doesn't behave as its inventor claims. Analysing PMM *can* be fun. I think that was what the OP was asking for.

Of course, the committed (and I mean committed) inventor may just change a few details and say "OK, now it'll work!"

myanmar said:
I just don't see where the flaw is that makes it stop working.

Irreversibilities.

CS

Perhaps the mechanism you are looking for is the buoyancy of the air that must be forced down from the piston at the top of the belt to the piston at the bottom. This buoyancy can be understood as the difference in water pressure between the top of the belt and the bottom. In order for the topmost piston to push in, the lowest piston must be forced to expand. However, this lowest piston will resist expansion due to this difference in pressure. This is the same resistance encountered any time one tries to push air (or any buoyant object or substance) downward into deeper water.

This resistance will be equal to the rotational force supplied by the overall process. Since the two forces are equal and opposite, the machine remains still.

Is that the sort of answer you are looking for?

I did like the fact that the machine in the link was patented - in 1976!
I can understand the patents from 18xx when perhaps the patent office wasn't quite as stocked with greatest minds of it's generation and technical education was a little lacking.
But 1976 - surely they must have had a memo with "Remember no perpetual motion machines" by then!

mgb_phys said:
I can understand the patents from 18xx when perhaps the patent office wasn't quite as stocked with greatest minds of it's generation...

I think back then we didn't have those volumes of useless patent applications. Today they don't really care if it works, because then there will be no claims either.

LURCH said:
Perhaps the mechanism you are looking for is the buoyancy of the air that must be forced down from the piston at the top of the belt to the piston at the bottom. This buoyancy can be understood as the difference in water pressure between the top of the belt and the bottom. In order for the topmost piston to push in, the lowest piston must be forced to expand. However, this lowest piston will resist expansion due to this difference in pressure. This is the same resistance encountered any time one tries to push air (or any buoyant object or substance) downward into deeper water.

This resistance will be equal to the rotational force supplied by the overall process. Since the two forces are equal and opposite, the machine remains still.

Is that the sort of answer you are looking for?

LURCH, this is exactly the kind of answer I'm looking for.

However, wouldn't adding more cups (or making them bigger) increase the rotational force and make this irrelvant?

If not, explain.

I can understand the patents from 18xx when perhaps the patent office wasn't quite as stocked with greatest minds of it's generation and technical education was a little lacking.

Yes, and by 1902 there was that German chap working in the Berne Federal Office for Intellectual property who obviously couldn't concentrate on the matter in hand.

Mapes said:
Of course, the committed (and I mean committed) inventor may just change a few details and say "OK, now it'll work!"
What happens here is the same every time: the "committedd inventor" increases the complexity of the device until he/she is no longer able to analyze/evaluate what is happening, and then assumes incorrectly, "OK, now it'll work!"

myanmar said:
However, wouldn't adding more cups (or making them bigger) increase the rotational force and make this irrelvant?

If not, explain.
Of course not. More or bigger cups means more work is required to push the air down (and lift the water up).

myanmar said:
LURCH, this is exactly the kind of answer I'm looking for.

If not, explain.

LOL! I know; a lot of these devices look like, "just gimme some time to work on it. If I make the weights heavier, or the air pockets larger, I'm sure I can get it to work." Sadly, however, anything you do to increase the force also increases the counterforce. For example; if you made the cups twice as large, you would double the surface area on which pressure is acting against the cup at the bottom of the belt. This of course would double the buoyant force preventing you from moving air downward (or you could say it doubles the amount of air we're trying to push down into deeper water). Using twice as many cups would have the exact same effect.

1. What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid, such as water or air, on an object that is partly or completely submerged in it. This force is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

2. How does buoyancy work?

Buoyancy works by comparing the weight of an object with the weight of the fluid it has displaced. If the object weighs less than the fluid it displaces, it will float. If it weighs more, it will sink.

3. What is perpetual motion?

Perpetual motion is the idea of a machine that can continue to operate indefinitely without any external energy source. This goes against the laws of thermodynamics and has never been achieved.

4. Can buoyancy be used to create perpetual motion?

No, buoyancy alone cannot create perpetual motion. While buoyancy can create a net upward force on an object, it cannot generate energy on its own. In order to achieve perpetual motion, an external energy source is required.

5. Are there any real-life applications of buoyancy and perpetual motion?

While perpetual motion is not possible, buoyancy has many practical applications in our daily lives. It is used in boats and ships to keep them afloat, and in hot air balloons to help them rise. Additionally, the concept of buoyancy is important in understanding the behavior of fluids in various engineering and scientific fields.