1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Buoyancy and ships/boats

1. Feb 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A boat with a density of 0.75 g/cc is floating in water. What percentage of the boat is floating above the surface of the water?

2. Relevant equations
    I don't know any general formulas for buoyancy. I was hoping someone here could provide one.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand that the density of water is 1 g/cc, so is it really as easy as understanding 1-0.75, or is that simply a coincidence. I know the answer is 25% and expected a rather low number due to the rather low density, but what is the exact procedure for solving this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Every cc of boat in the water receives 1cc weight of water worth of pushing up.
    So 1g/cc of flotation, if the boat weights 0.75g/cc then you get 0.25g/cc of overall flotation.

4. Feb 14, 2009 #3

Delphi51

Homework Helper

That pretty much does it.
    It would be clearer if you started with Fg = Fb
    where the buoyancy force Fb = (mass of water displaced)*g.
    The mass displaced is the density of water times the volume of water displaced.

5. Feb 14, 2009 #4
    Draw a block partly submerged in the water, and use that at as a Free Body Diagram. Put the forces on it, a bouyant force and a weight force, and then set up the statics problem. Then work it out as Delphi51 says.

6. Feb 15, 2009 #5
    Thanks everybody. That was my line of thinking, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't mistaken.

7. Feb 15, 2009 #6
    As Archimedes is supposed to have said in his bath:
    "Eureka"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook