Solving Buoyancy & Swimming Problems: Advice for Tangler

In summary, the key to maintaining a horizontal position while swimming is to develop the skill of rotating your whole body about a horizontal axis, which can be achieved through drills such as front balance and side balance. The buoyant force of the chest plays a crucial role in this rotation, and when on your side, it is likely to be greater, causing an imbalance in the forces and resulting in your legs dropping.
Tangler
I have a question which relates to buoyancy and swimming.
One of the basic skills required to be a good swimmer is to be able to maintain a horizontal postion throughout the length of your body whilst swimming front crawl but to rotate your whole body about a horizontal axis which passes through the top of your head.
In order to develop this skill coaches recommend the following two drills (i.e. skill practice methods)
1. Front balance - float face down with arms at side and kick very gently with feet.
2. Side balance - rotate from front balance position onto your side with head looking down to pool bottom.

My query relates to the buoyant forces which act on the body during this rotation.

I have mastered the front balance drill. But i have a problem with the side balance drill in that my legs angle down into the water but pop back up when I return to a front balance postion.

The body can be split up into two distinct zones.
1. the lungs/chest - a box shaped area which is very buoyant.
2. the legs - cylindrical appendages which are very heavy (my legs are lean i.e. not much fat)

The centre of gravity lies between these two areas approximately in stomach area.

It seems that when i rotate to a side balance position there is an imbalance in the forces which causes my legs to drop.

Does the centre of gravity shift or is the buoyant force of the chest greater when on my side?

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks in anticipation

Tangler

Physics news on Phys.org
The buoyant force of the chest is likely to be greater when on your side. This is because when you rotate onto your side, more of your body is submerged in the water which increases the area of your body that is exposed to the buoyant force. This increase in the area of your body that is exposed to the buoyant force will create an imbalance in the forces which causes your legs to drop. The centre of gravity does not shift during this rotation; however, the imbalance in the forces causes a shift in the position of the centre of gravity.

What is buoyancy and how does it affect swimming?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object immersed in it. In swimming, buoyancy allows the body to float and reduces the weight of the body, making it easier to move through the water.

How can I improve my buoyancy while swimming?

To improve buoyancy while swimming, you can try practicing breathing techniques to keep your body in a horizontal position, using a buoyancy aid or float, and focusing on proper body positioning and balance in the water.

What are some common mistakes that can affect buoyancy while swimming?

Some common mistakes that can affect buoyancy while swimming include improper body positioning, lack of core strength, and not exhaling fully while underwater. These can lead to sinking or struggling to maintain a horizontal position in the water.

What are some tips for conserving energy while swimming?

To conserve energy while swimming, it is important to focus on proper technique, such as using your arms and legs efficiently, breathing regularly, and maintaining a streamlined body position. It is also helpful to take breaks and pace yourself during longer swims.

How can I overcome a fear of deep water while swimming?

To overcome a fear of deep water while swimming, start by practicing in shallow water and gradually work your way to deeper areas. You can also try using a flotation device or taking swimming lessons to improve your skills and confidence in the water.