1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Buoyancy concept

1. Jun 15, 2008 #1
    the problem is:
    a block that weighs W floats exactly with 1/2 of its volume below the waterline. What is the buoyant force?

Answer is W, but why is it W?

I thought that its 1/2 W because only 1/2 of the volume is below the waterline. if the buoyant force equals to the downward force, wouldn't the block be floating ON the waterline?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2008 #2
    By reading a few other posts on this forum, I think that I understand this to be an equilibrium concept in which if it is floating, then the Fb = to the weight of the block. However, what would the Fb be if the block was floating in the waterline?

4. Jun 15, 2008 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Right.
    What do you mean? If it's floating, and the only forces acting are gravity and the buoyant force--what can you conclude?

5. Jun 15, 2008 #4

Doc Al

If something is floating, then the buoyant force equals the object's weight. That's that!

But how much of the object is under water is a different question. That depends on how the density of the object compares to the density of water.

6. Jun 15, 2008 #5
    In other words, is Fb still W if the block floats ON the waterline? (without any volume of the block submerged)

7. Jun 15, 2008 #6

Doc Al

That's not physically possible. If the object has weight it must displace some water.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?