Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Buoyancy correction

1. Sep 24, 2012 #1
    Is this equation correct?
    equation 1: mass=density(density-density)
    Im asking this because in air correction we have equation 2: mass=density(density-density)/density(density-density) -----here we get mass.But get we mass still in this case?:mass=density(density-density)
    Because I was trying to derive this using a dimension principle,but it doesn t fit in equation 1,because:m=kg/m3*kg/m3 which is kg2/m6 and this doesn t equal to mass.
    Please try to explain me this by using dimension principle as well.
    Thanks

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Mass = density * volume. Why would you ever multiply densities?
    If you are considering an 'air correction', it sounds like you're confusing mass with weight.

4. Sep 24, 2012 #3
    Thanks,I just want to know if mass=density(density-density) is correct,because as I said,mass has kg unit and right side of equation has kg2m6,so I think,that it is impossible.But I just want to ensure....Am i right?

5. Sep 25, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't understand what you mean by density(density-density). Do you really mean taking the difference of two densities and multiplying another density? That would be bizarre. Where are you getting that from? And what are these two or three densities the densities of?

6. Sep 30, 2012 #5

lurflurf

Homework Helper

That should be
    buoyancy correction=(volume sample-volume standard)density atmosphere

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook