Buoyancy Force and Block Equilibrium

In summary: Otherwise, I might be in trouble for my final exam! In summary, the conversation revolves around a cylindrical log anchored to the sea floor with a light cable. The conversation includes questions about the buoyancy force, weight, tension in the cable, and the length of the log that remains out of the seawater. The answers provided by the questioner do not match the answer key, but the expert summarizer believes that the answer key may be incorrect.
lafalfa
Hi,

A cylindrical log with volume 2.0m^3, length 4.0m and density 700 kg/m^3 is anchored to the sea floor by a light cable attached to one end, and with the long axis vertical. Density of sea water is 1030 kg/m^3. g=9.80 m/s^2.

a) What is the buoyancy force acting on the wood?

I did this: rho_f * V_o * g = 1030*2.0*9.8 = 20188 N

However, the answer is 20.2 N and I can't figure out why it appears I am off by a factor of 1000!

b) What is the weight of the log?

I did this: rho_o * V_o * g = 700*2.0*9.8 = 13720 N

However, the answer is 13.7 N and again, I can't figure out why I am off by a factor of 1000!

c) What is the tension in the cable?

I did this: Since rho_f * V_o * g = F_tension + rho_o * V_o * g, 20188-13720 = 6468 N

The correct answer is 6470, which I'm assuming is the same as my answer, but rounded differently (correct me if I'm wrong!).

d) If the cable is released and the log remains vertical, what length of the log will be out of the seawater, after it reaches equilibrium?

I did this: rho_f * V_f * g = rho_o * V_o * g, so V_f=700*2/1030 = 1.35922, thus 0.5*h=1.35922 and h=2.718 m
(0.5 is the area of the base of the cylinder.)
The correct answer is 1.28m and I can't figure out where I went wrong!

What should be the correct answers for parts A and B? Am I doing the question wrong? I have a final exam on this stuff in a couple of days! Please help me!

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
lafalfa said:
a) What is the buoyancy force acting on the wood?

I did this: rho_f * V_o * g = 1030*2.0*9.8 = 20188 N

However, the answer is 20.2 N and I can't figure out why it appears I am off by a factor of 1000!
I think you might actually be right. 20.2N seems much too small for the buoyant force on a 2-cubic-meter volume. Perhaps whoever prepared the answers mistakenly used 1.03 kg/m^3 as the density of water. (I've done that)

lafalfa said:
b) What is the weight of the log?

I did this: rho_o * V_o * g = 700*2.0*9.8 = 13720 N

However, the answer is 13.7 N and again, I can't figure out why I am off by a factor of 1000!
Again, I can't see anything you've done wrong.

lafalfa said:
c) What is the tension in the cable?

I did this: Since rho_f * V_o * g = F_tension + rho_o * V_o * g, 20188-13720 = 6468 N

The correct answer is 6470, which I'm assuming is the same as my answer, but rounded differently (correct me if I'm wrong!).
The correct answer that you've found appears to be rounded to 3 significant figures, and if you round your answer to 3 significant figures, it agrees with the correct one. I would consider your answer correct by that standard.

lafalfa said:
d) If the cable is released and the log remains vertical, what length of the log will be out of the seawater, after it reaches equilibrium?

I did this: rho_f * V_f * g = rho_o * V_o * g, so V_f=700*2/1030 = 1.35922, thus 0.5*h=1.35922 and h=2.718 m
(0.5 is the area of the base of the cylinder.)
The correct answer is 1.28m and I can't figure out where I went wrong!
You appear to have calculated the length of the log that remains in the water.

Thank you! I hope the answer key is the one that's wrong.

1. What is buoyancy force?

Buoyancy force is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object that is partially or fully submerged in it. This force is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

2. How does buoyancy force affect a block?

When a block is placed in a fluid, it will experience an upward buoyancy force that is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. This force will act in the opposite direction of the weight of the block, causing it to feel lighter or even float if the buoyancy force is greater than the weight of the block.

3. What factors affect the buoyancy force on a block?

The buoyancy force on a block is affected by the density of the fluid, the volume of the fluid displaced, and the depth of the object in the fluid. It is also affected by the density and volume of the block itself.

4. How can the buoyancy force on a block be calculated?

The buoyancy force on a block can be calculated using Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. This can be calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid by the volume of the fluid displaced by the object.

5. How is buoyancy force important in everyday life?

Buoyancy force is important in many everyday applications, such as swimming, boating, and even taking a bath. It also plays a crucial role in the design of ships and submarines, as well as in understanding the behavior of objects in fluids.