Calculating Helium Balloon Buoyancy Force at Launch and 2km Altitude

In summary, the buoyancy force of a helium balloon at launch can be calculated using the formula Fb = (Vb * ρair - Vb * ρHe) * g, taking into account the difference in density between the air and the helium inside the balloon. This force is affected by factors such as the volume of the balloon, the density of the air and helium, and the acceleration due to gravity, as well as temperature, pressure, and additional weight. As the balloon ascends to higher altitudes, the buoyancy force decreases until it reaches equilibrium with the surrounding air. The buoyancy force is always directed upwards and cannot be negative. The size of the balloon directly affects its buoyancy force, with a larger
JWSiow

Homework Statement

A helium meteorological balloon is made of a bag of impervious fabric that does not stretch, and when fully inflated forms a spherical shell of 1m diameter enclosing the He. At launch it is filled with He (at STP) to 15% capacity. The launch takes place in the Antarctic, in winter, at a temperature of 220K, so it is reasonable to assume that the temperature does not vary much with height. Note all assumptions and approximations made.

a)What volume does the balloon occupy at launch at sea level?
b)What mass of He is in the balloon?
c)What is the mass of air displaced by the balloon at sea level?
d)Estimate the buoyancy force at launch.
e)After launch the balloon rises. Estimate the buoyancy force when it has reached an altitude of 2km.

Homework Equations

PV = nRT
n=m/M
V=4/3[tex]\pi[/tex]r3

The Attempt at a Solution

a)V=4/3[tex]\pi[/tex] x 0.53 x 0.15 = 0.0785m3

b)No densities were given.

PV = nRT. Therefore n = PV/RT.
P = 1.013x105Pa (given from formula sheet)
T = 273K <-- Should this be 220K?
V = 0.0785m3
M = 4 atomic mass units (given)

Therefore n = 3.504mol
m=nM = 3.504 x 4 =14.01g

c) Mass displaced = mass of Helium = 14.01g.

d)
m = 14.01/1000 = 0.014kg
Buoyancy force = weight of volume displaced = mg = 0.137N

e)From a) and b), density = m/V = 0.014/0.0785 = 0.178kg/m3
At 2km, P=75100Pa (given). n, R and T remain constant.
V = nRT/P = (3.504 x 8.314 x 220)/75100 = 0.0853m3

Assuming density remains constant as altitude changes,
m=density/Volume = 0.178/0.0853 = 0.0152kg.

Buoyance force = 0.0152 x 9.8 = 0.149N

Basically, I'm just not sure if this is correct and want someone to check if my working out is all right :) The part I'm most unsure of is part e) and the fact that the buoyancy forces are so small!.

Physics news on Phys.org
JWSiow said:
b) ... T = 273K <-- Should this be 220K?
Yes, it should be 220K.
JWSiow said:
c) Mass displaced = mass of Helium = 14.01g.
Mass displaced = mass of air, not helium.
JWSiow said:
...Assuming density remains constant as altitude changes...
Nope. Density will change. You've already got the new volume. Just use the method from parts (b), (c), and (d) to recalculate the bouyant force.

But, I used the number of moles found in part b) to calculate the new volume, which means if I used the new volume to calculate the mass using the same method, I'd get the same mass, and the buoyancy force would stay constant...

You are right. I got the masses mixed up in my mind when I was responding to your question. :blushing:

You can assume the density of the air doesn't change (the density of the helium does, but that doesn't matter to the question). Given the volume, recalculate the mass and weight of air displaced by the balloon.

Your calculations seem to be correct. However, it is important to note that the buoyancy force is small because the balloon is only filled to 15% capacity at launch. If it were filled to full capacity, the buoyancy force would be much larger. Also, keep in mind that these calculations are based on various assumptions and approximations, so they may not be entirely accurate. It would be important to take into consideration other factors such as air resistance and the change in temperature with altitude to get a more precise estimation of the buoyancy force. Overall, your approach and calculations seem to be reasonable.

1. How do you calculate the buoyancy force of a helium balloon at launch?

The buoyancy force of a helium balloon at launch can be calculated using the formula Fb = (Vb * ρair - Vb * ρHe) * g, where Fb is the buoyancy force, Vb is the volume of the balloon, ρair is the density of air, ρHe is the density of helium, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula takes into account the difference in density between the air and the helium inside the balloon.

2. What factors affect the buoyancy force of a helium balloon at launch?

The buoyancy force of a helium balloon at launch is affected by several factors, including the volume of the balloon, the density of the air and helium, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors that can impact the buoyancy force include temperature and pressure changes, as well as any additional weight added to the balloon.

3. How does the altitude of a helium balloon affect its buoyancy force?

The buoyancy force of a helium balloon decreases as it ascends to higher altitudes. This is because the density of the air decreases with increasing altitude, making the difference in density between the air and the helium inside the balloon smaller. As a result, the buoyancy force decreases and the balloon will eventually reach a point where it is in equilibrium with the surrounding air, neither rising nor falling.

4. Can the buoyancy force of a helium balloon be negative?

No, the buoyancy force of a helium balloon cannot be negative. The buoyancy force is always directed upwards, opposing the force of gravity. If the buoyancy force were to become negative, it would mean that the balloon is heavier than the surrounding air and would start to sink instead of rise.

5. How does the size of a helium balloon affect its buoyancy force?

The size of a helium balloon directly affects its buoyancy force. As the size of the balloon increases, so does its volume and therefore the buoyancy force. This is because a larger balloon will displace a greater volume of air, creating a larger difference in density between the air and the helium inside. This means that a larger balloon will have a greater buoyancy force and will be able to lift more weight.