Buoyancy of a Barrel in water.

In summary, buoyancy is the upward force that a fluid exerts on an object that is submerged or partially submerged in it. A barrel in water is subject to two forces: its weight pulling downwards and the buoyant force pushing upwards. The buoyant force on a barrel in water is equal to the weight of the water displaced by the barrel. This can be calculated using the formula F = ρVg, where ρ is the density of water, V is the volume of water displaced, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. The buoyancy of a barrel in water is affected by its shape, size, and weight, as well as the density of the water it is submerged in. The buoyancy of a barrel in
xago

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5054/35229868.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[PLAIN]http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/5296/scan0002zw.jpg

I've attached my solution to the problem. The only thing that's bothering me here is the gravity term in the answer. It all stems from the buoyancy term which is the weight of the displaced water with is m*g. Can somebody give me some insight on whether this is right or not and where I made a mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is right.

1. What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force that a fluid exerts on an object that is submerged or partially submerged in it.

2. How does buoyancy affect a barrel in water?

A barrel in water is subject to two forces: its weight pulling downwards and the buoyant force pushing upwards. If the buoyant force is greater than the weight, the barrel will float; if the weight is greater, the barrel will sink.

3. How is the buoyant force calculated for a barrel in water?

The buoyant force on a barrel in water is equal to the weight of the water displaced by the barrel. This can be calculated using the formula F = ρVg, where ρ is the density of water, V is the volume of water displaced, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What factors affect the buoyancy of a barrel in water?

The buoyancy of a barrel in water is affected by its shape, size, and weight, as well as the density of the water it is submerged in. Objects with a larger volume and a lower density will experience a greater buoyant force.

5. Can the buoyancy of a barrel in water be changed?

Yes, the buoyancy of a barrel in water can be changed by altering its weight or the amount of water it displaces. This can be achieved by adding or removing objects from the barrel, or by changing the density of the water it is submerged in.