Calculating Buoyancy of a Raft

• Thread starter chantalprince
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buoyancy
In summary, the problem involves calculating the maximum number of 60 kg persons that a raft, made of 11 logs lashed together with dimensions of 38.0 cm in diameter and 6.10 m long and a density of 700 kg/m^3, can hold in freshwater while keeping everyone's feet dry. The solution involves finding the volume of the raft, calculating the weight of the water displaced by the raft, and then subtracting the weight of the raft itself to determine how much weight the raft can support. This remaining weight can then be divided by the weight of a 60 kg person (588 N) to determine the maximum number of people the raft can hold.
chantalprince

Homework Statement

A raft is made of 11 logs lashed together. They are 38.0 cm in diameter and 6.10 m long and has a density of 700 kg/m^3. How many 60 kg persons can the raft hold in freshwater while keeping everybody's feet dry?

Homework Equations

Volume immersed/Volume total = density obj/ density fluid
% immersed= density obj/ density fluid
Bouyant force = roh x V x g
P = F/A (?)
m = roh x V

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the volume of the raft: 2.42 cubic meters

Here are my thoughts: To keep everybody's feet dry, the raft can be immersed up to 99.9%. Not sure how to use the forumla above to my advantage... Also, I can find the bouyant force of the raft. Now, I'm stuck!

Thanks in advance to all who respond :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Think of the volume of the logs as your budget. Figure the weight of the water displaced by that volume.

The first outlay from the budget is for the weight of the wood.

What's left over - volume times the density of that volume of water - is what you have in the bank to pay out then for additional weight.

So ... how many 60 kgs can you afford from your budget?

I can't quite wrap my mind around what your saying. However, if it's of any help to get me started, I think I found the weight of water displaced by the raft. I used: m = roh x V then used W = mg. Is this correct?

chantalprince said:
I can't quite wrap my mind around what your saying. However, if it's of any help to get me started, I think I found the weight of water displaced by the raft. I used: m = roh x V then used W = mg. Is this correct?

That's the idea. Now you know the total of how much the logs and the people can weigh.

But I thought I just found the weight of the raft with the equations in my last reply... How do I find out the TOTAL weight I'm allowed??

chantalprince said:
But I thought I just found the weight of the raft with the equations in my last reply... How do I find out the TOTAL weight I'm allowed??

That's the whole point. The weight of the displaced water is what the logs will support. (After allowing for the weight of the logs themselves of course.)

Alright- so, I found the bouyant force, and then the weight of the raft, so the rest of the weight can go to people. So, what does the whole, "and not get their feet wet" bit have to do with this? Does it just mean that if we go over our "account balance" that the raft will sink? So, the raft will float up until the next person gets on?

Yes. They don't want you getting into the density of the people and the volume they displace.

Ok :) Now another issue I am having. I took the force the raft can support, which is in Newtons, as is the weight of the raft. So, how do I figure how many 60 kg persons this thing will hold? I thought it would be a simple conversion, but I am missing something somewhere. I did this:

(1 lb/4.448 N) (1kg / 2.2lb)

But- I still have Newtons on top.

(Can you tell I SUCK at this physics stuff?)

How many Newtons is a 60 kg person?

Hmmmm... F = m*g = 60*9.8 = 588 N

Thank you so much for all of your help, LP :smile:

1. How do I calculate the buoyancy of a raft?

To calculate the buoyancy of a raft, you will need to know the dimensions and weight of the raft. Then, you can use the formula Buoyancy = Weight of Water Displaced - Weight of Raft to calculate the buoyancy force.

2. What is the weight of water displaced by a raft?

The weight of water displaced by a raft is equal to the weight of the raft when it is fully submerged in water. This can be calculated by multiplying the volume of water displaced by the density of water.

3. How does the shape and size of a raft affect its buoyancy?

The shape and size of a raft can greatly affect its buoyancy. A larger raft with a wider surface area will displace more water and therefore have a greater buoyancy force. The shape of the raft can also impact how it sits in the water and its stability.

4. What factors can affect the buoyancy of a raft?

There are several factors that can affect the buoyancy of a raft. These include the weight and distribution of the load on the raft, the shape and size of the raft, and the density of the water in which it is floating.

5. How can I make my raft more buoyant?

To make your raft more buoyant, you can add buoyant materials such as foam or inflatable devices to increase the volume of water displaced. Additionally, spreading the weight of the load evenly across the raft and reducing its weight can also improve its buoyancy.