Is T=PV-M the Correct Formula for Calculating Buoyancy in Water?

In summary: This gives a required bouyancy force of 24g.In summary, the formula T=PV-M is used to calculate the tension in a tether holding an object under water, where P is the density of the fluid surrounding the object, V is the volume of the object, and M is the mass of the object. However, there is a discrepancy between this formula and the idea presented by the lecturer that 1Kcm^3 of air can support 1kg of weight. This is due to the lecturer assuming that the density of the object is high enough to displace a negligible amount of water, while the formula takes into account the total mass of the object and any additional load.
malek340
I believe that T=PV-M. P is density of fluid surrounding the object, v is volume of object and M is the mass of object.

So i have this object which is able to float due to air trapped inside it. This object is able to carry an extra load of 10 kg. So my formula would be,

T= [p*(vol of object + vol of air + vol of load)]-(mass of object + mass of load+mass of air),

Am i right?

However, my lecturer taught us that 1Kcm^3 of air would be able to float up/lift up a mass of 1kg. I find that this idea contradicts with the formula given. So u guys have any idea on who is right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
T would be the tension of object floating in water

malek340 said:
I believe that T=PV-M. P is density of fluid surrounding the object, v is volume of object and M is the mass of object.

So i have this object which is able to float due to air trapped inside it. This object is able to carry an extra load of 10 kg. So my formula would be,

T= [p*(vol of object + vol of air + vol of load)]-(mass of object + mass of load+mass of air),

Am i right?

However, my lecturer taught us that 1Kcm^3 of air would be able to float up/lift up a mass of 1kg. I find that this idea contradicts with the formula given. So u guys have any idea on who is right?
You are mixing up your weight forces and your mass, btw. But your formula looks OK. It doesn't seem to clash with what your lecturer is saying. 1000cm3 has a mass of 1kg (weight 10N) so those figures imply that your upthrust will support a weight of 10N (mass= 1kg). In your formula, T would be zero- implying the total bouyancy would be neutral. He is just cutting a corner and saying that the density of the object being suspended is so high, compared with the air, that it is displacing a negligible amount of extra water.

This is my object specifications
Mass of object= 18kg
Mass of load=10kg
Target tension(t)=4kg

So this is what he mentioned, the total mass of the object, together with the load of 10kg, would be 32kg(18+10+4).
So he assumed that 32kcm^3 of air would make it float with 4kg lift/tension.

However by using the formula T=pV-m, the volume of air that i would obtain would be different.
I can't seem to find a reason to tally the answers

Can you confirm that T is the tension in a tether, holding the object under water? (It's not clear in the OP). If that is the case, the bouyancy force must balance the downwards forces of (18+10+4)g.

If T is an upwards force, partially supporting the bouyant object, the downwards forces are (18+10)g so, to find the bouyancy force needed, you subtract the 4g tension force from that.

What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object immersed in it. This force is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

How is buoyancy calculated?

The buoyancy force is calculated using Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. This can be represented by the equation Fb = ρVg, where Fb is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the displaced fluid, and g is the gravitational acceleration.

What factors affect the buoyancy of an object in water?

The buoyancy of an object is affected by its density, volume, and the density of the fluid it is immersed in. Objects with a lower density than water will float, while objects with a higher density will sink. The shape and size of the object also play a role in its buoyancy.

Why do some objects float while others sink?

Objects float or sink based on their density compared to the density of the fluid they are in. If an object is less dense than the fluid, it will experience a greater upward force and will float. If the object is more dense, it will experience a greater downward force and will sink.

What is the principle of displacement in relation to buoyancy?

The principle of displacement states that the volume of fluid displaced by an object is equal to the volume of the object. This is why objects with a greater volume will experience a greater buoyant force, as they are displacing more fluid.