1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Buoyancy with Water and Oil

1. Jan 22, 2009 #1
    i have a physics problem about buoyancy and could really use some help!
    a cubical block of wood 10cm on a side, floats at the interface between oil and water with the lower surface 2cm below the interface. the density of oil is 0.6 g/cm^3 and the density of water is 1.00g/cm^3. what is the mass of the block?
    it also has a picture that shows that the container is filled with 10cm of oil on top of 10 cm of water.

force=(density)(volume)(gravity)

i have no idea where to even begin!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2009 #2
    If half the volume of the block was below the boundary (5cm below) the block would have a density half way between that of oil and water (i.e 0.8 g/cm^3). From the density you could easily calculate the mass, try using the same argument for the numbers in your question.

4. Jan 22, 2009 #3
    i'm confused on why they would say that the container is 10cm full with oil and 10 cm full with water...do i have to add that into my calculations somewhere?

so far ive come up with

mass=(0.6g/cm3)(8cm)+(1.00g/cm3)(2cm)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?