1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Buoyant Force & Acceleration

1. Jan 6, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    -A thin spherical shell of mass 0.300 kg and diameter 0.250 m is filled with alcohol ( = 806 kg/m3). It is then released from rest on the bottom of a pool of water. Find the acceleration of the alcohol filled shell as it rises toward the surface of the water.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    M1=0.3kg, r=0.125 m, V= (4*pi*r^3) /3,
    M2 = pV = (806*V), FB = pVg = (1000)(V)(9.8)
    . After finding FB, I plugged it back into the equation and got 2.211 m/s^2. This answer was wrong, could someone please tell me if I am using the wrong equation, or if I just screwed something up.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2007 #2
    It looks like you might have just done something wrong in your calculations...I set it up like this:

\sum{F} = \rho_{water} V g - \rho_{alcohol} V g - mg = (m + \rho_{alcohol} V) a

a = \frac{g(\frac{4}{3} \pi r^3 (\rho_{water} - \rho_{alcohol}) - m)}{m + \rho_{alcohol} \frac{4}{3} \pi r^3}

and I got a number a little lower than yours. Maybe it was rounding? Generally I like to get everything in one equation and then plug it all in at once to reduce the chance of that sort of mistake.
  4. Jan 6, 2007 #3

it worked out, thank you very much. I got 1.829711 m/s^2, I think thats what you got. :smile: :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?