Buoyant Force and Volume: Doubling the Volume, Doubling the Displacement?

In summary, the object will float because the more dense the object, the less it has to be immersed in order to create the maximum buoyant force.
bud102
I've already determined the first part of the question, which is regarding the buoyant force. An object weights 5N and displaces 3.5 N of water when placed in the beaker. The buoyant force is = to the displaced water which is 3.5N. Now, here's where I'm stuck. The volume doubles, and weight stays the same. What is the buoyant force? My guess is that since the volume is doubling, the amount displaced will double so it will be 7N and the object will float because the amount displaced is greater than the weight. Is that accurate?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not accurate, I'm afraid.

The volume of the object may double but it will only displace double the original volume of water if it it completely immersed.

If you think about it ...

The downward force, the weight of the object, is 5N and if the upwards force, the buoyant force, is 7N, then the object is going to accelerate upwards!

When the volume doubles, try to figure out if the object floats or will it be completely immersed.

bud102 said:
The buoyant force is = to the displaced water which is 3.5N.

I agree completely.

bud102 said:
My guess is that since the volume is doubling, the amount displaced will double so it will be 7N and the object will float because the amount displaced is greater than the weight.

I also agree. If suddenly the volume doubles, it will now displace double the volume of water, which will create 7N of bouyant force. The body will indeed accelerate upwards until it surfaces. Now part of the object will be above water and partly underwater. Take a guess, yes, the part underwater will displace just enough water to support its weight of 5N. Thus the object floats. Check your notes for conditions for floating ;)

Then the object would float then because the deeper the object is immersed, the greated the buoyant focce and once the weight of the disperased water is equal to the weight of the object, it will float. Since the volume is doubled, the bouyant force will never really double because once it equals the weight it will float. Density plays a role because the more dense an item is, the less it has to be immersed in order to displace the amount of water to float?

bud102 said:
Then the object would float then because the deeper the object is immersed, the greated the buoyant focce and once the weight of the disperased water is equal to the weight of the object, it will float. Since the volume is doubled, the bouyant force will never really double because once it equals the weight it will float.

Bingo! In this case, the bouyant force will max at 5N.

bud102 said:
Density plays a role because the more dense an item is, the less it has to be immersed in order to displace the amount of water to float?

You can look at it from a couple of views. Here's one: mass = density x volume. The more dense an object is, the heavier it will be for any given volume. Volume is proportional to how much water it can displace which is proportional to the max possible bouyant force on it.

Thank You All For Your Help! :)

1. What is buoyant force?

Buoyant force is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object that is partially or fully submerged in the fluid. It is a result of the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object.

2. How is buoyant force calculated?

The buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This can be calculated using the formula Fb = ρVg, where ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the displaced fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How does the volume of an object affect its buoyant force?

The volume of an object plays a significant role in determining its buoyant force. The larger the volume of the object, the more fluid it will displace, and thus the greater the buoyant force will be.

4. What is the relationship between buoyant force and density?

Buoyant force is directly proportional to the density of the fluid. This means that the greater the density of the fluid, the greater the buoyant force it will exert on an object.

5. How does buoyant force affect the weight of an object?

Buoyant force acts in the opposite direction of gravity, so it reduces the apparent weight of an object in a fluid. For example, a 10 kg object in water will only weigh around 8 kg due to the buoyant force of the water. This is why objects feel lighter when submerged in water.