1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Buoyant force help

1. Oct 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An aluminum cylinder is suspended in an unknown fluid by a spring scale. Outside the fluid, the object weighs 20N. In the fluid, the scale reads 10N. What is the buoyant force on the cylinder?

2. Relevant equations

Fb= pVg, p= density of fluid, V= displaced volume, g= 9.8 m/s

3. The attempt at a solution
    I do not know where to start and any help will be much appreciated! Just need to be pointed in the right direction :)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Suppose an object that weighs 20 N is sitting on a scale. You lift up on the object until the scale reads 15 N. How much force are you exerting upward on the object?

4. Oct 23, 2013 #3
    I do not know. Is there an equation I should use for that?

5. Oct 23, 2013 #4
    Please help this problem is due soon!

6. Oct 23, 2013 #5
    You have 20 dollars. You spend some so that you have only 10 left. How much did you spend?

7. Oct 24, 2013 #6
    No offense, but then you should have started working on the problem earlier and ask for help earlier. Saying "help now because it's due soon" only irritates helpers, it never makes you get help faster.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted