The Buoyant Force on a Man: What is the Ratio to His Weight?

In summary: I don't see what's wrong with using 1.225 kg/m^3 for the density of air, and I don't see how 1.004 N could possibly be wrong if all the given data is correct. The fact that the density of air is given to only three significant figures suggests to me that the answer should also be given to only three significant figures, but that's just a guess.In summary, a man with a mass of 85.0 kg and a density of 995 kg/m3 (exclusive of the air in his lungs) has a volume of 0.0854 m3. The buoyant force exerted by the air on him is 1.004 N, and the ratio
tennisgirl92

Homework Statement

A certain man has a mass of 85.0 kg and a density of 995 kg/m3 (exclusive of the air in his lungs).
(a) Calculate his volume.
.0854 m3
(b) Find the buoyant force air exerts on him.
N
(c) What is the ratio of the buoyant force to his weight?
(buoyant force / weight)

Homework Equations

Fb=density (of substance) x Volume (of object) x g
density of air=1.2 kg/m3

The Attempt at a Solution

Fb=(1.2 kg/m3) x (9.8) (.0854)
=1.004N

and then for part c
1.004/ (9.8 x 85=833)=.00121

For some reason this is incorrect. Does anyone see why?

Physics news on Phys.org
tennisgirl92 said:
Fb=(1.2 kg/m3)x (9.8) (.0854)
tennisgirl92 said:
A certain man has a mass of 85.0 kg and a density of 995 kg/m3
Incorrect density.

Edit: Sorry I misread the question.

Last edited:
For the buoyant force of the displaced air, the air density should be used as the OP shows. How far off is the answer? Could it be just due to rounding of 1.225 to 1.2?

Yes, I tried that as well and obtain 833N, which is also incorrect. I did this first, and then thought we need to use the density of the air.

FactChecker said:
For the buoyant force of the displaced air, the air density should be used as the OP shows. How far off is the answer? Could it be just due to rounding of 1.225 to 1.2?

yes, I tried 1.225 and 1.2. Both are incorrect.

tennisgirl92 said:
yes, I tried 1.225 and 1.2. Both are incorrect.
Just so we don't have to keep guessing, what is the answer given?

FactChecker said:
Just so we don't have to keep guessing, what is the answer given?

I don't have access to the answer yet-it's a web assign HW question.

Try to make sure that all constants used have as at least as many significant figures as the given data. That includes your value for g.

Likes FactChecker

1. What is buoyant force?

Buoyant force is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object that is partially or fully submerged in it. It is a result of the pressure differences between the bottom and top of the object.

2. How does buoyant force act on a man?

When a man is submerged in a fluid, the fluid exerts an upward force on his body known as buoyant force. This force helps to counteract the weight of the man and allow him to float or stay afloat in the fluid.

3. What factors affect the buoyant force on a man?

The buoyant force on a man is affected by the density of the fluid, the volume of the submerged portion of the man's body, and the gravitational force acting on the man. The deeper the man is submerged and the higher the density of the fluid, the greater the buoyant force will be.

4. How is the buoyant force on a man calculated?

The buoyant force on a man can be calculated using Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. This can be represented by the equation Fb = ρgV, where Fb is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and V is the volume of the submerged portion of the man's body.

5. Can a man's body float in any fluid?

Yes, a man's body can float in any fluid if the density of the fluid is greater than the density of the man's body. This is why a man can float in water, which has a density of 1 g/cm3, but not in oil, which has a higher density of around 0.9 g/cm3.