• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Buoyant force problem.

• Thread starter Milad_1989
  • Start date
1. Homework Statement
500m long tanker loaded displaces 5.64763x10^8kg water. the tanker is moved to another planet, and it has to displace mercury. What volume of mercury would it displace? and do you need the gravity on that planet?

2. Homework Equations

Fb=Fg pf object of subject = P0V0g
PfVfg=Weight of displaced fluid=p0v0g=weight of object
Vu=v0-vf=v0-(p0v0g/pfg)=v0(1-(po/pf)

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I tired to find the volume of water, the vf and tried every thing, i dont seem to get anywhere.. Can some one direct me to the right path?

Answers and Replies

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What do you need to know to find out how much mercury the tanker displaces?

I would probably need to find the volume of the tank to find how much it can hold.... But i am not really sure how i can use it... what equations would help me get to the volume of the mercury

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well, what is the volume of mercury going to be doing?

Its going to be displaced by the tanker... so i have to use PfVfg=Weight of displaced fluid...
But then i still have 2 unknowns vf and the weight displaced... hmm

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Its going to be displaced but its also going to support the tanker isn't it. Can you work from there?

i can solve for the volume of water, but do i know enough to find the volume of mercury?

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You should be able to solve for volume of mercury. In fact you don't really need to work out the volume of water. That information is there to help you work out the mass of the tanker.

Then i need the gravity of the new planet to use any of these equasions given... I do have the density of mercury=1.36x10^4 kg m3

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Have you read any examples from the text you're working from or your class notes? Have you tried writing down any relevant equations and manipulating them? If so post what you've tried.