1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Buoyant force problem.

1. Apr 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    500m long tanker loaded displaces 5.64763x10^8kg water. the tanker is moved to another planet, and it has to displace mercury. What volume of mercury would it displace? and do you need the gravity on that planet?

2. Relevant equations

Fb=Fg pf object of subject = P0V0g
    PfVfg=Weight of displaced fluid=p0v0g=weight of object
    Vu=v0-vf=v0-(p0v0g/pfg)=v0(1-(po/pf)

3. The attempt at a solution

I tired to find the volume of water, the vf and tried every thing, i dont seem to get anywhere.. Can some one direct me to the right path?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you need to know to find out how much mercury the tanker displaces?

4. Apr 10, 2008 #3
    I would probably need to find the volume of the tank to find how much it can hold.... But i am not really sure how i can use it... what equations would help me get to the volume of the mercury

5. Apr 10, 2008 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, what is the volume of mercury going to be doing?

6. Apr 10, 2008 #5
    Its going to be displaced by the tanker... so i have to use PfVfg=Weight of displaced fluid...
    But then i still have 2 unknowns vf and the weight displaced... hmm

7. Apr 10, 2008 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Its going to be displaced but its also going to support the tanker isn't it. Can you work from there?

8. Apr 10, 2008 #7
    i can solve for the volume of water, but do i know enough to find the volume of mercury?

9. Apr 10, 2008 #8

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should be able to solve for volume of mercury. In fact you don't really need to work out the volume of water. That information is there to help you work out the mass of the tanker.

10. Apr 10, 2008 #9
    Then i need the gravity of the new planet to use any of these equasions given... I do have the density of mercury=1.36x10^4 kg m3

11. Apr 11, 2008 #10

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you read any examples from the text you're working from or your class notes? Have you tried writing down any relevant equations and manipulating them? If so post what you've tried.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?