Calculating Density of Ice from a Buoyant Force Problem - Homework Help

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the density of ice using the tallest iceberg ever measured, which has a height of 167 m and a submerged thickness of 1.50 km. The density of sea water is given as 1025 kg/m3. It is determined that the volume of the iceberg can be found using the equation V = L x W x H, and the density can be calculated using the equation Density of fluid / density of object = volume of object / volume of fluid. It is also noted that the length and width for the volumes of the iceberg can be assumed to be the same.
b0r33d

Homework Statement

The tallest iceberg ever measured stood 167 m above the water. Suppose that both the top and the bottom of this iceberg were flat and the thickness of the submerged part was estimated to be 1.50 km. Calculate the density of ice. The density of sea water equals 1025 kg/m3.

Homework Equations

Weight of the object / Buoyant Force = Density of the object / Fluid density
V = L x W x H
Density of fluid / density of object = volume of object / volume of fluid

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't want an answer, I just need help figuring out how I'm supposed to find the volume.
I know that I need the volume in order to find the density, and the mass...but how do I find either the density OR volume with just the height and the submerged height? I know that I'm supposed to assume the iceberg is a rectangular prism...but shouldn't I know the mass or volume in order to find the density?
How do you find the volume with only the height?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to know the mass. You are assuming it is a rectangular box, not a prism. So the length and width are the same for the volumes of the iceberg above and below the water.

The second equation you listed is all that is really needed.

But how do you find the volume with only a height? I don't know the length and width...

You can still express the volumes you need in terms of L,W,H by just using the variables and put them into the equation. You don't need to know L and W directly. They will be canceled out.

1. What is buoyant force?

Buoyant force is a force exerted by a fluid on an object that is partially or fully submerged in the fluid. It is an upward force that acts against the weight of the object and helps it to float.

2. What is the relationship between buoyant force and density?

Buoyant force is directly proportional to the density of the fluid. This means that the denser the fluid, the greater the buoyant force it exerts on the object. This is why objects float more easily in less dense fluids like water, compared to denser fluids like mercury.

3. How do you calculate the buoyant force on an object?

Buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This can be calculated using the formula Fb = ρVg, where ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the displaced fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Does the shape of an object affect the buoyant force?

Yes, the shape of an object does affect the buoyant force. Objects with a larger surface area will experience a greater buoyant force compared to objects with a smaller surface area. This is why flat objects like a piece of paper can float on water, while a small, dense object like a pebble will sink.

5. How does the buoyant force problem relate to real-world situations?

The buoyant force problem is relevant in various real-world situations, such as designing ships and submarines, understanding how hot air balloons work, and even in biology to explain how fish can stay afloat in water. Understanding the principles of buoyancy can also help in predicting and preventing disasters, such as when designing and constructing bridges and dams.